RE: [council] Current draft of Fadi's requested communication from council

  • To: "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Current draft of Fadi's requested communication from council
  • From: "Winterfeldt, Brian" <bwinterfeldt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 10:13:14 -0700
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear all:

As promised on our last Council teleconference, here is written feedback from
the IPC with respect to the current draft response to Fadi Chehadé on strawman
solution and limited preventative registrations proposal.  More specifically,
this is a critique of the draft GNSO Council statement on the strawman which we
feel does not accurately reflect a consensus or considered analysis as urged by
Chair Crocker.

The list is non-exhaustive and our intent is to demonstrate that there are a
number of flaws in the current draft that we should address as a Council.

•         The IPC is concerned with the statement that the strawman solution
represents “expansion of trademark rights beyond law.”  Apart from being a
legal conclusion, it implies that the strawman is composed of solutions or
protections to which trademark owners have no legal right.  To the contrary,
trademark owners have the legal right to prevent infringement of their marks,
and the rights protection mechanisms being established as part of the new gTLD
program are founded on this fundamental right.  The Strawman merely addresses
the implementation of this policy, not its extension or expansion.

•        The IPC believes the use of the term “majority” throughout the letter
is misleading as it minimizes the fact that an entire Stakeholder Group—indeed
the Stakeholder Group whose members will bear the greatest economic impact from
inadequate rights protection mechanisms—unanimously agrees that additional
rights protection mechanisms are essential.  Put another way, a vote should be
necessary before asserting that a “majority of the Council” feels a certain
way, particularly the presumption that “protection policies for new gTLDs are
sufficient and need not be revisited.”  It is also important to note that not
all stakeholder groups or constituencies submitted comments in the public
comment forum, so we should not assume that there is a majority in support.  It
might be an overstatement.  Of the statements that were submitted, in addition
to the BC/IPC comments, the ISPC "endorsed the intent and critical importance
of preventing fraudulent registrations and reducing defensive measures and
agrees that the RPMs currently in the AGB may be improved; however, ISPCP is
neutral on the subject of specific RPMs."  The use of the term "majority"
usually refers to a majority in each house.  However, With the IPC, ISP and BC
taking a different approach, we believe the statement of "majority " in support
of the letter is not really accurate.  Sending the letter as written would go
against the spirit of the carefully thought-out comments of these groups.

•         There is a difference between “agree[ment] to socialize these
[proposals] to the rest of the GNSO” as Dr. Crocker is quoted as saying and the
requisite GNSO Council support asserted in the draft letter.  Indeed, here are
a few more compelling and recent quotes from Fadi Chehadé during the NCPH
intersessional meeting, “… I still believe is an issue, I don't believe that
the claims or the things that you brought to my attention, you know, are not
right. Quite the opposite, I think they're very right, that's why I engaged,
that's why I jumped on it.”  “Some of the things that came out of the strawman
discussions make sense and are implementation decisions.”  And, “unless the
community vehemently disagrees … that work will not be counted out, we will
look at it in good faith.”  Most recently, in Mr. Chehadé’s February 13, 2013
video blog, he affirmed that the Strawman Proposal is absolutely legitimate and
that the statements he made in Amsterdam on this topic were taken out of
context.  He confirmed that his “mistake” was in the way he convened the
meetings, and that the work on the Strawman is “not throw away work”, but
rather, it is important work.

•        The letter cites ICANN’s goal of advancing “competition in the domain
name industry,” but fails to reflect temperance with the new gTLD policy toward
not infringing the legal rights of others which advances consumer trust of the
system.

•        The letter is silent with respect to the thirty-day sunrise notice
period—an aspect of the strawman solution that most public comments seem to
agree is a noncontroversial implementation detail.

•         Comments on Claims 1 and Claims 2 appear seriously inaccurate and
seems to ignore the contours of the process and raise a number of
implementation questions as policy matters—“How would payments be made and
allocated?  How do Registries and Registrars adapt their technical systems…”
etc.

•         Claims 2 imposes fewer obligations and offers fewer benefits than
Claims 1.  Thus, “lightweight” seems apt to us.

•        Most conventional dictionaries define “disenfranchise” as follows, “to
deprive of a franchise, of a legal right, or some privilege or immunity;
especially: to deprive of the right to vote.”  The strawman has nothing to do
with the right to vote.  So what is the legal right to which you are referring
here?  If what is meant is that adopting the Strawman would deprive any
stakeholder of a voice in the development of the implementation of the policy
that intellectual property should be protected in the new gTLD, then that would
ignore the input of numerous stakeholders.  If anything, the Strawman process
has enfranchised more concerned parties than ever before.

•         The IPC fervently disagrees with dismissal of the Limited
Preventative Registration proposal as a “blocking mechanism.”  Again, this also
seems seriously inaccurate and appears to ignore the contours of the proposal.
To sum up, it is a low-cost bulk sunrise registration.  It would provide
precisely the same benefits to brand owners as participation in each individual
new gTLD sunrise period to which they are qualified to participate in.

·         The statement that this is entirely "a matter of policy" ignores the
fact that the Strawman proposal resulted from “implementation discussions on
the Trademark Clearinghouse and its associated rights protection mechanism.”
http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/tmch-strawman-30nov12-en.htm.  The
fact that Mr. Chehadé has asked the GNSO Council for input on the Strawman
proposal does not now turn it into a policy matter.  In fact, the Limited
Preventative Registration mechanism was left out of the Strawman proposal not
because it was considered policy, but rather simply because it did not achieve
consensus among the participants in the implementation meetings. It is thus
completely within the Council's purview to provide substantive input on these
issues without resorting to a PDP.  Indeed, the original rights protection
mechanisms did not stem from a PDP, but from an informal GNSO process (the
Implementation Recommendation Team).   Formation of a working group to explore
these implementation issues substantively is an option that has not been fully
explored.

•        The response ignores the substantial number of comments submitted
during the public comment forum—which reflect a significant interest in looking
at this issue further from inside and, significantly, outside the IP community.
 For example, the ALAC statement supports a number of elements of the proposal,
and encourages the GNSO to fairly evaluate them.  The proposed GNSO letter does
not do so.

Thank you,

Brian

Brian J. Winterfeldt
Partner
bwinterfeldt@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:bwinterfeldt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Steptoe

+1 202 429 6260 direct
+1 202 903 4422 mobile
+1 202 429 3902 fax

Steptoe & Johnson LLP - DC
1330 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20036
www.steptoe.com<http://www.steptoe.com/>

+1 212.506.3935 direct
+1 212.506.3950 fax

Steptoe & Johnson LLP – New York
1114 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10036

This message and any attached documents contain information from the law firm
Steptoe & Johnson LLP that may be confidential and/or privileged. If you are
not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, distribute, or use this
information. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the
sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete this message.