RE: [council] Beijing / Meetings with GAC & ccNSO

  • To: "Jonathan Robinson" <jonathan.robinson@xxxxxxxxxxx>, council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [council] Beijing / Meetings with GAC & ccNSO
  • From: john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2013 09:25:18 -0700
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jonathan,

I agree that meeting with the ccNSO and the GAC ought to be regular features,
but it falls to us, I think, to offer an agenda that is compelling.  This is
not always as easy as it sounds as some of what collaborative interests the
GNSO sees are not always seen by our counterparts.

With regard to the ccNSO, at the least, the impending new gTLDs will/should
have significant market effect on registrants who don't make the same
distinctions we do between g and cc names.  What do we think will happen and
how will we respond?  Note that I am on my first ccNSO Council call next week
as liaison.  I may hear something that prompts another suggestion.

With regard to the GAC, I would be interested in hearing about any national
initiatives that might affect the global internet (e.g., the emerging EU
privacy directive).  It is clear, though, that the ICO/Red Cross/NGO name
protection will cast a shadow over all.

Cheers,

Berard

--------- Original Message ---------Subject: [council] Beijing / Meetings with