[council] FW: A note regarding the selection of members of the Second Accountability and Transparency Review Team (ATRT2)

  • To: <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] FW: A note regarding the selection of members of the Second Accountability and Transparency Review Team (ATRT2)
  • From: "Jonathan Robinson" <jonathan.robinson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 20:06:30 -0500
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All, FYI.  Jonathan.

From: Steve Crocker [mailto:steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 05 February 2013 15:58
To: Jun Murai; Patrik Fältström; Olivier Crepin-LeBlond;
jonathan.robinson@xxxxxxxxxxx; louie@xxxxxxxxx; lesley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx;
pwilson@xxxxxxxxx; kdrazek@xxxxxxxxxxxx; Matt Serlin; Robin D. Gross, Esq.;
tonyarholmes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx; krosette@xxxxxxx Rosette; Marilyn S. Cade;
william.drake@xxxxxx; alain.berranger@xxxxxxxxx Berranger
Cc: Steve Crocker; Heather Dryden; Denise Michel; Alice Jansen
Subject: A note regarding the selection of members of the Second
Accountability and Transparency Review Team (ATRT2)

Jun Murai
Patrick Fältström
Olivier Crepin-Leblond
Jonathan Robinson

Louie Lee

Lesley Cowley

Paul Wilson

Keith Drazek

Matt Serlin

Robin Gross

Tony Holmes

Kristina Rosette

Marilyn Cade

Bill Drake

Alain Berranger

Dear chairs of SOs, ACs, SGs and Constituencies

Heather and I write to you regarding the selection of the members of the
Second Accountability and Transparency Review Team (ATRT2).  We were
fortunate -- and challenged -- to have 36 applications of volunteers to
serve.  We greatly appreciated the time and effort your group invested in
your endorsement process and providing us with high caliber candidates.  In
selecting the members of this team, we considered multiple factors,
including SO & AC endorsement, experience with governments, experience with
organizational governance, understanding of ICANN?s working practices,
consensus-building, analytical skills, ability to draw evidence-based
conclusions, aptitude to build metrics and balances of geography, gender,
service on the prior Accountability and Review Team, etc. These factors
necessitated difficult choices.

We have selected about one third of the applicants in addition to the ex
officio positions allocated to the NTIA Administrator, GAC Chair and Board
Chair to fill personally or to a designee.  While there is no hard and fast
limit on the size of the review team, based on past experience and our
current judgment, we feel this team is the right size, is strong and is
fully capable of conducting an excellent review.  For the people who have
not been selected, we appreciate both their candidacies and the effort of
everyone involved in advancing their candidacies.  In particular, we
recognize that each person who applied for membership on this review team
has made it clear she or he cares deeply about ICANN and is willing to
devote substantial time and energy to improve our processes.  We invite all
who applied, particularly those who were not selected, to make use of the
many other opportunities to participate in the ICANN process.  And with
respect to the Accountability and Transparency review process, we will ask
the Review Team to solicit inputs early in the process from all of the
candidates who were not selected.

Heather Dryden
GAC Chair and Co-selector of ATRT2 members

Steve Crocker
Board Chair and Co-selector of ATRT2 members