[council] Letter from ICANN Board Chair to GAC Chair on High Level Meeting held in Toronto

  • To: "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Letter from ICANN Board Chair to GAC Chair on High Level Meeting held in Toronto
  • From: Bruce Tonkin <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 00:30:36 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-AU, en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

From:  http://www.icann.org/en/news/correspondence/crocker-to-dryden-24jan13-en

Heather Dryden
Chair, Governmental Advisory Committee

Dear Heather,

Thank you for providing me, the Board and the ICANN community with the Chair's
Summary
report of the High Level Meeting held during ICANN 45 in Toronto.   I know I
speak for the
Board when I express strong appreciation for the opportunity to meet with the
high level officials
in attendance, both during our formal discussions and informally through the
day.  I recognize the
significant commitment and interest shown by high-level officials' decision to
attend the meeting,
and to engage openly and constructively with a broad cross section of the ICANN
community.

The Chair's report highlights that governments recognize the importance of the
multi-stakeholder
model that drives our work as managers of the Internet's unique system of
identifiers.  ICANN
understands that the model is not something that we can take for granted, and
so we appreciate
governments' support.  We look forward to collaborating with all stakeholders
to strengthen and
defend the multi-stakeholder model as we move forward, including by means of
our ambitious
globalization initiative.

We recognize governments are a vital component of the ICANN model, and that the
GAC must
be an effective mechanism for delivering timely advice on public policy issues
related to
ICANN's work, whether in the supporting organizations or by the Board and
staff.  Please be
assured that the Board is committed to ongoing improvements in how we work
together,
including the implementation of the recommendations delivered by the first
accountability and
transparency review.  In that regard, I appreciate the suggestions for the next
review that are
contained in the Chair's report. These will be taken into account as the
community formulates the
guidelines for the review.

Once again, let me reiterate our appreciation to Canada for hosting the High
Level meeting in
Toronto. Please be assured of ICANN's willingness to partner with the GAC
should a decision be
taken to hold similar meetings in future.

Sincerely,

Stephen D. Crocker, Chair
ICANN Board of Directors