ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives


<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

[council] ICANN Board-Stakeholder Action List

  • To: "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] ICANN Board-Stakeholder Action List
  • From: Glen de Saint Géry <Glen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 06:09:33 -0800
  • Accept-language: fr-FR, en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: fr-FR, en-US
  • List-id: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Thread-index: Ac3ucu4qH3O4bFVHR3S5Z2jvtLEMeQ==
  • Thread-topic: ICANN Board-Stakeholder Action List

ICANN Board-Stakeholder Action List
8 January 2013
21 December 2012
The attached ICANN Board-Stakeholder Action List sets out what the Board heard 
in Toronto where Board action is required and what the Board plans to do. In 
the future, it is intended that an Action List like this one will be published 
no later than 1 month after each meeting. Just prior to the following meeting 
an updated version of the Action List will be published setting out what the 
Board has done with respect to each item below.
The production of an Action List is a relatively new practice and we are still 
working on the timings, logistics and processes required for it to be effective 
and efficient. Your feedback is welcomed.

What we heard where action is needed

Proposed Action

What We've Done


Suggestion to establish an ICANN mailing list for those in the ICANN community 
who will be at WCIT (possibly widen list to I*).

Direct the staff to set up mailing list.


Strategic Planning

Do not proceed with 2013-2016 Strategic Plan. A new procedure is coming and it 
needs to ensure there are mechanisms for hearing input so the Community feels 

The Board has been discussing this since its September board workshop in Los 
Angeles and plans to continue to work on it and report back as soon as 
possible. The Board recognizes that any strategic planning framework will need 
to include the results of the African Strategic Working Group.

GAC Advice

The Board heard several matters from the GAC, which it expects will be 
addressed in the GAC Communiqué, but specifically notes that the timing of the 
Board's response to the GAC Communiqué was sub-optimal.

The Board acknowledges the problem and will endeavor to put in place a 
mechanism to ensure timely arrival of its response.

WHOIS Review Report

There is no consensus on the actions that should follow the WHOIS Review.

The Board will discuss the WHOIS Review during its Board meeting this afternoon.

Completed. The Board accepted the WHOIS Review Team's recommendations and 
additionally initiated a review of the purpose and structure of WHOIS.

Patents in Policy Processes

Various parts of the GNSO have indicated that a future policy in this area may 
be needed and that we should address it before it becomes a concern.

Board to request "expert advice" on this topic and then put out the recommended 
approach for public comment to be adopted by the Board.

Article 29 Working Party Letter

Many concerns were expressed.

The letter will be taken into account in finalizing the negotiations on the RAA.

JAS Applications

JAS applications need to be given priority in this round and improved in the 
next round.

Treatment during this round is in the hands of the CEO and the new gTLD 
Committee. Treatment in future rounds will be taken up when the next round is 

New gTLDs - General implementation issues:
-URS IDN Variant
-BC and IPC requirements
-IANA readiness
-Registry services readiness
-Compliance readiness

Numerous comments. Concern expressed that we are not ready in some areas and 
will not be ready in time.

The Board is instructing the CEO to focus his full attention and energy on all 
implementation actions necessary to keep the program on track.

New gTLD Funds

Document the total amount borrowed from the
reserve fund to finance the pre-revenue period of the new gTLD program, and 
document the intended repayment schedule.

We will do so.

Prioritization Draw

Generally positive feedback that IDN's should have priority; a number of 
suggestions were made to give preference to various subgroups in association 
with the Prioritization Draw.

The new gTLD Committee will consider all feedback from this meeting and the 
comment period. All suggestions are being considered by and will be decided by 
the CEO and the new gTLD Committee.

Rights Protection in New gTLDs

A handful of concerns were raised regarding the rights protection mechanism(s).
The IPC and business constituencies have reached consensus on further 
mechanisms for new gTLD rights protection. They agreed to socialize these to 
the rest of the GNSO.

All of these are in the hands of the CEO and the new gTLD Committee.
The Board looks forward to receiving input on these suggestions from the GNSO.

Trademark Clearinghouse

There are a significant number of issues with regard to the Trademark 
Clearinghouse both from an implementation and cost point of view.
Interest in whether the final draft agreement and the signed agreement for the 
trademark clearinghouse will be made public.
The rights to the trademark clearinghouse database must remain with ICANN.

The Board supports the CEO's decision to make solving these issues his top 

Yes, it will be made public.

The rights will remain with ICANN.

Submission of Public Forum Topics

Public Forum questions submitted in advance should include a couple of hinting 
sentences so everyone can be prepared.

Forwarded to staff and the Public Participation Committee (PPC) for 

Intersessional Meetings

1) Various parts of the GNSO expressed the belief that it would assist the new 
gTLD process if ICANN facilitated an intersessional meeting for the GAC; 2) The 
registry and registrar constituency and the NTAG believe that ICANN should 
support an intersessional meeting for them.

The Board will consider any formal requests received for these intersessional 

Glen de Saint Géry
GNSO Secretariat

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>