Re: [council] RE: [council] RE: [council] GAC Communiqué f rom Toronto

  • To: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>, "'Jonathan Robinson'" <jonathan.robinson@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Bruce Tonkin'" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] RE: [council] RE: [council] GAC Communiqué f rom Toronto
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 21:02:33 -0400
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Agreed. The GAC position is that the names cannot be used.

As Jeff has repeatedly said, the USE of these names may be forbidden, but so is the use of certain words in certain countries. If we expect all registries to deny registrations of these names, they must be explicitly listed in the contracts.

Historically the reserved names list has been changed without the benefit of a PDP - compare: http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/registries/verisign/appendix-06-01mar06-en.htm and http://www.icann.org/en/about/agreements/registries/verisign/registry-agmt-appk-com-16apr01-en.htm. I am not sure if these changes were all the result of Board action, or simply staff action. In any case, we need to NOT say that a PDP is required for any change of that list. History says otherwise. And in my mind, there is no reason to believe that this is still not the case.

However, given the likelihood (already experienced) of others saying "me too", a formal PDP is warranted. The fact that the GAC is willing to create a specific list (something I suggested a while ago and was told the GAC would *never* agree to do such operational work) makes it implementable if the PDP should decide that reservation is warranted.

Alan