ICANN/GNSO GNSO Email List Archives


<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Re: [council] Fwd: Draft Letter for Review re: IRD-WG Final Report Delivery to Board

  • To: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Fwd: Draft Letter for Review re: IRD-WG Final Report Delivery to Board
  • From: Ching Chiao <chiao@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:27:13 +0800
  • Cc: GNSO Council List <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:sender:in-reply-to:references:date :x-google-sender-auth:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=w3TyVpU246JNF4MH/1dHfrQOXp06xF32C09PtWtleQ4=; b=fR0Qbz/JuN4B34wfUw88dDfthSXEsuUF0D21wFGLxJHODgB+UM3JDLx+VB/UrKj1py fhjOIdpcB+hnsfeZl0oEZtUNFGgtLfYy7IrwS2HnlnQInoOu16OsR4tey4Avil8wl+Sh Ly70l9UXabVKYUzmJRh1o7oVNjiGM9wZfgIEvlIlFum2f6LSCmWxCrL2zJkD13dhQCZp 7dvU0kSqeAvYWakZrDYO2js4wTreAoqLORQzresyV7NUvPsCgD7PGCuwLJCS9YhYh8KY uOC9ubPqQ8v3thWRxW9DRpwTgGnaPfqW+yMkZe04PvBbcWzbdIOXbPCeu2LPmCtLP3eO sZqw==
  • In-reply-to: <E08BE4B4-C73E-4726-BA45-48C586972ED8@indom.com>
  • List-id: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • References: <0AF34162-8DEF-4305-AF02-3CE9076DFDBC@frobbit.se> <E08BE4B4-C73E-4726-BA45-48C586972ED8@indom.com>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stéphane / All,

My apology for not being responsive on this issue.

Stéphane -- I'd agree your approach on co-signing the SSAC letter,
which is simply to deliver the report to the Board. The Council has
already authorize the Chair to do so. After the submission of this
joint letter, the Board / Staff should prepare for the IRD
implementation timeline and liaise with GNSO / SSAC if there's any
policy issues -- a useful and similar reference could be ICANN's
roadmap on SAC 051 (
). The question now is when the GNSO / ICANN community can see such
timeline therefore we should request for it.

In reality, based on my understanding, the policy works / motion may
come a year later or even longer. Here's why. Some of you may have
noticed the new development of the WEIRDS-WG
(http://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/weirds/charter/) in IETF. At the
bottom of that web page you can see the proposed milestones for
standardizing RDDS. ICANN is relying on WEIRDS-WG to get the ball
rolling and ultimately fix the WHOIS / RDDS standardization issues,
and this include the IRD. Unless the Council is thinking something
else, this IRD / WEIRDS is pretty much driven by the progress /
efficiency of technical standard updates, and I assume that many
registry / registrar players are involved in that process. So my take
at the moment would be getting Staff to brief the Council regularly,
and we will have better sense of when to request a formal plan or
report from the Board / Staff, as well as to decide when to request
for issue report or to initiate PDP.

Just my two cents for this big issue. Other comments and suggestions
are certainly welcome and appreciated.

Best regards,


On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 3:41 AM, Stéphane Van Gelder
<stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Councillors,
> Please see below the correspondence from Patrik Fälström, SSAC Chair.
> You will remember that we discussed the IRD-WG FR at our last meeting and it
> was decided that we should draft a letter to send the Board "requesting the
> implementation plan time-lines and clarifying that any policy implications
> in implementing the recommendations will have to be considered by the GNSO
> Council".
> Ching volunteered to draft the letter and we were looking to approve it at
> our next meeting, which is scheduled for Sept 13. The SSAC proposed letter
> obviously overlaps with this, but from what I can see introduces no new
> elements apart from actually spelling out the IRD recommendations for the
> Board.
> I would therefore suggest that we may wish to sign on to the proposed SSAC
> letter, whilst also sending our own letter as planned. Ching and others,
> please provide feedback on this suggestion and make any comments you feel
> are relevant to this and the SSAC letter.
> I will, as planned, add the approval of Ching's letter to the Sept 13
> consent agenda. I will also add an agenda item on the proposed SSAC IRD-WG
> letter.
> Thanks,
> Stéphane Van Gelder
> Directeur Général / General manager
> INDOM Group NBT France
> ----------------
> Head of Domain Operations
> Group NBT
> Début du message réexpédié :
> De : Patrik Fältström <paf@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Objet : Rép : Draft Letter for Review re: IRD-WG Final Report Delivery to
> Board
> Date : 7 août 2012 07:58:11 UTC+02:00
> À : Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>
> Cc: Jim Galvin <jgalvin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Ram Mohan <rmohan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>
> Stéphane,
> I have consulted with my Vice Chair, Jim Galvin, and with Ram Mohan, the
> SSAC Liaison to the Board, and we would like to suggest changes to the draft
> cover letter for the IRD-WG Final Report delivery to the Board that Julie
> Hedlund sent to you and me on 20 July (see original message below). I have
> attached a revised version for your consideration in Word and PDF. The
> primary changes are that we included the recommendations from the IRD-WG
> Final Report in the cover letter for the Board's reference. These are
> highlighted as tracked changes in the revised draft letter.
> Best regards,
>   Patrik
> From: Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>, Patrik Fältström
> <patrik@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Draft Letter for Review re: IRD-WG Final Report Delivery to Board
> Dear Stéphane and Patrik,
> On 27 June in Prague the GNSO Council passed a motion relating to the Final
> Report of the Internationalized Registration Data Working Group (IRD-WG).
> In its motion the Council approved the delivery to the Board of the IRD-WG’s
> Final Report and requested staff to draft a joint letter from the GNSO and
> the SSAC to the Board.  Attached for your consideration is the draft joint
> letter from the GNSO and the SSAC to the Board in Word and PDF and the Final
> Report.
> Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.
> Best regards,
> Julie
> Julie Hedlund, Policy Director/SSAC Support

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>