RE: [council] Fwd: Received: UN Letter to ICANN requesting exclusion of IGO names from gTLD registration

Thanks Mason, Stephane and John.  As the chair of the Drafting Team, I do not
believe that this letter changes any of the work underway with the drafting
team other than to give us further resolve to provide a clear response to the
GAC proposal (from last September) ASAP, whether that response is to maintain
the status quo or provide additional protections or somewhere in between.

With respect to circumventing the GNSO, this has also been a concern of mine
and I do believe a response to the IGO letter is warranted to send a clear
message that WE, the GNSO community, are tasked with determining gTLD policies
through the multi-stakeholder processes.  Not the Board, but the community.  To
that end, I was very comforted by the recent Progress Report issues by the new
gTLD committee of the board,
http://www.icann.org/en/groups/board/new-gtld/report-03aug12-en.pdf, which
states with respect to being asked for action on the IOC/RCRC issue:

“Review of this material indicates that the appropriate course is for the Board
to leave these issues in the hands of ICANN’s policy--‐making bodies.  This was
the recommendation of the Board in its Singapore resolution when considering
protections for the IOC and Red Cross.  ICANN staff members are supporting that
discussion in the GNSO.  The IOC and Red Cross are addressing their comments to
the GNSO.  The GNSO is properly considering whether to do additional work on
these issues.”

The same rationale holds true with respect to the IGOs and should be repeated
back to the IGOs in our response letter.

I believe it is a little premature to provide any response to the GAC on the
issue of their consideration of the IGO issue.  I do not read their latest
communiqué as a change, but rather just a politically correct statement saying
that they are considering the issue (much like we may likely be doing once the
final issue report is released).  The GAC has every right to consider the issue
and provide advice to the Board.  Hopefully the Board will repeat the above
mantra and send that advice back down to the GNSO for its consideration prior
to taking any action.  To do otherwise at this point would go against the
latest new gTLD Progress Report.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Jeffrey J. Neuman
Neustar, Inc. / Vice President, Business Affairs