RE: [council] Motion to Recommend Certain Oritections for RCRC and IOC Names and the Top Level in New gTLDs

  • To: Stéphane Van Gelder <stephane.vangelder@xxxxxxxxx>, Joy Liddicoat <joy@xxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Motion to Recommend Certain Oritections for RCRC and IOC Names and the Top Level in New gTLDs
  • From: "Neuman, Jeff" <Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 01:02:02 -0500
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Cc: "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All,

Sorry for the delay in my response, but we just closed the most recent
consensus call on the Drafting Team's recommendations before responding.  Due
to timing issues, I did have to present the motion to the council before the
completion of the consensus call.  It was not the optimal way to do this I
confess, but in this situation we did the best we could with the compressed
timelines.  I was fairly comfortable based on the discussions of the group that
we would have Consensus or Strong Support when I presented the motion and
always intended to report that to the Council in Costa Rica this weekend.

I believe the results indicate that we do have a Consensus of the Drafting Team
that supports the substance of the Recommendations in the motion.  Please note
that "Consensus" does not mean unanimity and as there was one group that voted
no.  Therefore, we do not have Unanimous Consensus support. Although
participants in the Drafting Team were participating as individuals, many of
the individuals did consult with the respective groups in arriving at their
decision.   In considering whether there was consensus, since there were some
constituencies/groups that had multiple members, I have grouped them together
for fairness purposes.  I did not want, for example, to weigh the opinions of
those from the International Olympic Committee more heavily than the person
representing the registries simply because the IOC had 3 representatives and
the registries only 1 .  The Breakdown was as follows:

RySG - Yes (Gomes)
IPC - Yes (Evans, Shatan)
ISP - Yes (Novoa)
BC - Yes (DelBianco)
NCUC - No (Liddicoat, Komaitis, Dammak)
NCA Appointes - Yes (Ajayi, Rickert)
ALAC - Yes (Greenberg)
Red Cross - Yes (Hughes, Hankins, Lanord)
IOC - Yes (Bikoff, Malancharuvil, Heasley)

**RrSG - The Registrars did not participate in any of the discussions, e-mail
archives or consensus call as there were no registrar members on the Drafting
Team.

Note 1:  The Drafting Team was only asked to agree or not agree with the
substance of the recommendations and not on the process that will or wont be
followed by the GNSO Council in voting on the recommendations.  They were not
asked, for example to opine on (i) whether the initial Board Resolution was the
right one, (ii) whether we needed to provide more rationale on why to protect
the IOC/RC names, (iii), whether there should or should not be additional
comment periods, etc.  That is the job of the Council to evaluate.  The
Drafting Team was asked only to respond to the substance of the GAC proposal
and present its advice to the GNSO Council.

Note 2:  The NCUC members of the DT voted no to the recommendations for the
following reasons:

a)       Ms. Liddicoat stated:  "My reasons are because the recommendations are
not the best option for implementing the Board decision as set out in the
Applicant Guidebook, go further than matters of "implementation" and would
secure extended protections beyond what is reasonable (including language
protections in recommendation 2 which are outside the scope of the Board
decision). Please note that despite not agreeing with some of the options under
DT discussion (and the motion proposed) I have nonetheless worked in a spirit
of cooperation to assist discussion of whether the options are workable"

b)      Mr. Komaitis stated:  "On the recommendation itself (1), I believe
there is simply not enough justification in going beyond the protection the
Board has already included in the Applicant Guidebook and I am, in
particularly, uneasy with the various obstacles that this recommendation
creates for other legitimate rights owners (Greek communities, other trademark
owners, etc.). On the issue of which languages protection should extend to, I
believe that our point of reference should be the existing international legal
instruments and that this group should not accept an arbitrary list compiling
various national laws. Finally, I think that given the complexity and potential
impact these recommendations may have, at a first instance these protections
should not be extended to all future rounds and should be the subject of a
review."

c)       Mr. Dammak stated his non-support was based on the same rationale as
Mr. Komaitis and Ms. Liddicoat.
Note 3:  As the Chair of the Drafting Team, I did not participate in the
Consensus call.
Please let me know if you have any questions.  I will be happy to address them
this weekend.
Jeffrey J. Neuman
Neustar, Inc. / Vice President, Business Affairs

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only for the use
of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. If you are not the intended recipient you have received this
e-mail message in error and any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying
in error, please notify us immediately and delete the original message.