From: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, 29 September 2011 1:18 AM
To: Marika Konings
Cc: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [council] A thought on the potential of a "seal program" for
non-binding best practices

Marika & fellow Coucillors:

While I am totally supportive of working to reach agreement on a shared
definition of "best practices" -- their identification, implementation and
measurement -- there is something in the notion of a "seal of approval" that
most piques my interest.

As a founding member of the Board of TRUSTe
(www.truste.com<http://www.truste.com>), the online privacy rights organization
that manages a seal program for data collection and use, I am familiar with the
consumer value of such industry self-regulatory programs can deliver.

In the case of non-binding policies it may be that such an approach -- a seal
granted and monitored by ICANN or a third-party -- can make the implementation
of these policies a matter of competitive advantage for registrars and
registries.

As the non-binding best practices are identified, they can be used as a way to
review business practices and earn (or not) a seal of approval for the applying
party.  The seal can them become a part of that company's competitive
marketing.  Consumers can then choose to work with a company based on their
commitment to those policies, knowing that a third-party is monitoring
performance.

This could be a way to supplement the consensus policy process, using market
forces help lead to consumer advantage.

Cheers,

Berard