Re: [council] Motion from the RrSG

  • To: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>, GNSO Council <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Motion from the RrSG
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 16:16:06 -0400
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tim, I applaud this action on behalf of the RrSG, but do have questions regarding how the RrSG sees this being implemented.

The content does not seem to be within the picket fence and so no PDP is required. But the only means I am aware of for getting such rules into the RAA is for the Board to approve them and then they kick in on the next RAA renewal - up to 5 years away. On the last RAA change, ICANN had to offer financial rewards to Registrars to get them to sign onto the revised agreement (and last I heard there were still some that have not).

Do you envisage ICANN having to offer additional financial incentives in this case, (and still wait up to 5 years for all Registrars to be on board)? Or what else is proposed to actually get this implemented in a more timely manner?

Also, do you envisage that this is an obligation that registrars will be obliged to pass on to their resellers?

Alan