[council] Update on WHOIS studies including staff analysis of WHOIS Privacy and Proxy Relay and Reveal study

  • To: "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Update on WHOIS studies including staff analysis of WHOIS Privacy and Proxy Relay and Reveal study
  • From: Liz Gasster <liz.gasster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2011 16:55:07 -0800
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All,

Attached please find two documents related to the WHOIS studies project,
including staff analysis of the costs and feasibility to conduct a WHOIS
Privacy and Proxy "Relay and Reveal" study.  This is the staff analysis on the
last of 4 study areas that the Council requested be scoped in March 2009.  I
will be providing a short overview of this analysis on the upcoming 24 February
GNSO Council call.

The second document is an update on all of the studies in chart form.  Here are
the highlights:

1.       WHOIS "Misuse" study - Staff is negotiating a contract with an
independent research firm to do this study and we hope the research will begin
in March.

2.       WHOIS  "Registrant Identification" study - awaiting Council decision

3.       WHOIS "Proxy and Privacy Services Abuse" study - awaiting Council
decision

4.       WHOIS "Proxy and Privacy Services Relay and Reveal study - analysis
attached.  We did not receive any responses to the RFP, we did solicit and
receive other input, explained further in the report, and based on that input
we are proposing a pre-study survey.

Note that a WHOIS Service Requirements Inventory Report was completed in July,
2010 and is awaiting Council discussion and next steps (please see link to
study #6 in the chart that is attached).

Links to these documents will be added/updated on Monday here:
http://gnso.icann.org/issues/whois/ .

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like additional
information.

Thanks, Liz