RE: [council] Definitions and measures of competition , consumer trust, and consumer choice

  • To: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Definitions and measures of competition , consumer trust, and consumer choice
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 06:57:58 +1000
  • Cc: <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Tim,

>>  Could you provide the source for the conclusions you make below, or are
they your own?

Purely my own quick thoughts - none of them need to be accepted in any way :-)

>>  Regarding the
latter, at some point .com may be less 20% but if a large portion of
other gTLD registrations are only defensive and mostly point to .coms,
is that a good sign of competition?

No.

>>  Finally, I'm not sure it is a good idea for the regulator's own criteria
and evaluation to be the only measure of the effectiveness of its
regulations. So we should consider third party involvement as well.

Agreed.   But given we as a community are initiating a project - lets at least
have some shared measures of our own.  Any independent review may wish to look
at other aspects - but we at least need our own measures to manage our own
projects.

Regards,
Bruce