<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

RE: [council] RE:Board action on recommendation 6

  • To: <owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] RE:Board action on recommendation 6
  • From: "Mary Wong" <MWong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 16:14:56 -0400
  • Cc: <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Speaking personally as a participant in the Rec 6 CWG, my puzzlement over the
Board's resolution arose in relation to the language where it read "not
inconsistent with the existing PROCESS" (emphasis added).

Since the CWG was cognizant that its work should be within the framework of
existing GNSO POLICY (i.e. Rec. 6 & related Principles etc.) - and I don't
believe anything we recommended went outside of this policy framework - I read
the Board language to mean, specifically, the objection process relating to
MAPO issues as outlined in AGB v4.

It seemed to me that the main concern the Board had was what Bruce outlined in
his email, viz. the manner in which the Board would ultimately discharge its
responsibility for new gTLD decisions. The current AGB process outsources the
objection process management and appointment of external experts to the Int'l
Center for Expertise (ICE) of the ICC (which some members of the CWG disagreed
with). In addition, within the CWG there was fairly extensive discussion over
whether the experts appointed should recommend EITHER (1) only that the
objection in question is well-founded in international law; or (2) go further
and add a recommendation that, as a result of this finding, the string in
question should NOT be approved by the Board.

The current AGB language on this specific question is not entirely clear, and
can be read to indicate that the Board will, without more
investigation/discussion, accept the decision of the experts as final.

So when the resolution simply reads "not inconsistent with the existing
process", I'd guess that many other members of the ICANN community (and not
just me) would be concerned as to what the Board considers "process" in the
AGB. If "process" simply means "we're going to stick with the ICC as service
provider" and/or even "we think the experts should recommend the outcome (and
not just the legal implications) of the application", that may be one thing;
if, however, "process" was intended to mean also that the Board will accept,
without further enquiry (e.g. obtaining a second expert opinion if warranted),
the expert's advice, that could be more problematic.

In any event, though, and like Chuck, I don't personally believe any of the CWG
recommendations were against either existing GNSO policy or AGB-recommended
process - I think the recommendations sought to clarify existing ambiguities in
the AGB instead.

Thanks and cheers
Mary

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAWTwo White StreetConcord, NH
03301USAEmail: mary.wong@xxxxxxx.eduPhone: 1-603-513-5143Webpage:
http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.phpSelected writings available on the
Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at: http://ssrn.com/author=437584