Re: [council] FW: Action item on me from our teleconf yesterday regarding the recent Board Resolutions from Trondheim, reflecting on reports from various WG's including JAS and Rec6 CWG...

  • To: Tim Ruiz <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] FW: Action item on me from our teleconf yesterday regarding the recent Board Resolutions from Trondheim, reflecting on reports from various WG's including JAS and Rec6 CWG...
  • From: William Drake <william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 13:07:37 +0200
  • Cc: alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx, langdonorr@xxxxxxxxx, council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Tim

Thanks for laying this out.  I understand your general concern and doubt anyone
here would want out of band CWGs to become the norm.  But there may be times
when cross-community dialogue is needed to move forward, and many folks thought
that was the case with MAPO.  We had the GAC belatedly declaring it couldn't
live with a GNSO-agreed process and expressing interest in talking it through
with us, and they were laterally already having such a discussion with ALAC.
It's not obvious that insisting on a GNSO-only response would have played well
in that context, or for that matter that it'd have ultimately been as
productive as the CWG was (unless you feel the recommendations are worse than
the status quo ante?).

In any event, presumably the choices are 1) a joint request for information
that would help us to understand the board's resolution, 2) a GNSO request for
the same, or 3) no request.  My preference would be for 1, do I understand
yours to be 2?  Would be good to hear from others…

Best,

Bill

William J. Drake
Senior Associate