Re: [council] Proxy Voting Procedures

Hi,

Besides the procedural issue, my concern was, and is, the sense (from
reviewing the new Council operating procedures) that if a Councilor is
going to be absent from a vote, the only way he/she can actually get to
vote - assuming the issue is not one that relates specifically to a PDP
Bylaw, Council procedure or vacancy (which triggers the Absentee Voting
procedures in 4.4) - is on issues that dictate an abstention.

The problem is that 4.5 (on Abstentions) presuppose only 2 situations
where an abstention is justified: (1) volitional (where a Councillor
"elects to refrain from participating and voting", see 4.5.2(a); and (2)
obligational (i.e. professional, personal or political conflicts), see
4.5.2(b). These then trigger the procedural remedies we've discussed
(including a proxy vote).

I completely agree that Councilors are fully expected and required
(including in 4.5.1) to participate actively and discharge their duties
responsibly, such that instances of absent and/or proxy voting are
minimized and not encouraged. However, it seems to me that there will be
instances where a Councilor simply cannot be at a meeting, but fully
wishes to vote on a motion that is not one that triggers either 4.4 or
4.5. In other words, he/she does not need to "elect to refrain" from
voting, and is not otherwise obligated to abstain.

As currently worded, neither 4.4 nor 4.5 (including the language on
proxies) would seem to cover this type of situation, which arguably
could be handled via a relatively straightforward proxy process.

Am I missing something, reading the procedures too narrowly, or ... ?
(maybe being a pest? :)

Thanks and cheers
Mary

In such a case, the new Operating Procedures do not seem to allow for a
relatively simple - but documented and accountable - mechanism by which
such a case could be handled through a proxy.

Mary W S Wong
Professor of Law
Chair, Graduate IP Programs
UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE SCHOOL OF LAWTwo White StreetConcord, NH
03301USAEmail: mary.wong@xxxxxxx.eduPhone: 1-603-513-5143Webpage:
http://www.law.unh.edu/marywong/index.phpSelected writings available on
the Social Science Research Network (SSRN) at:
http://ssrn.com/author=437584