[council] Update on WHOIS studies and "final" draft P/P reveal study RFP TOR for your quick review

  • To: "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Update on WHOIS studies and "final" draft P/P reveal study RFP TOR for your quick review
  • From: Liz Gasster <liz.gasster@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2010 10:35:33 -0700
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

All,

Following is a short update on the WHOIS studies I am working on, including a
short turn-around request for review of the revised Terms of Reference for a
Privacy/Proxy Reveal Study.

1.       WHOIS Misuse - The GNSO Council approved resolution to proceed with
this study at its last meeting.  Staff is working with the top bidder to revise
their proposal to address the areas that we noted in our 23 March memo to the
Council  required more clarity and to address the additional items included by
the Council in the 8 September resolution.  We will then finalize a contract
and initiate the study. Target end of October to finalize contract.

2.       WHOIS Abuse - The top two RFP responders have provided additional
information as requested and we hope to have an analysis prepared by the end of
September.

3.       WHOIS Reveal --    A revised, hopefully final draft of the RFP Terms
of Reference is attached for your review.  We received a lot of helpful input
from Council members and SG/C "delegates" so this language is substantially
revised - so much so that I decided not to send a redline as it was essentially
illegible.  I want to acknowledge and thank Wendy Seltzer, Statton Hammock,
Michele Neylon, Kathy Kleiman, Steve Del Bianco, Lee Eulgen and Adam Scoville
for their guidance and insights.  At the recommendation of the group, the study
has been recast as an exploratory study of a sample of relay and reveal
requests and does not include a testable hypothesis per se.  The thought behind
this essentially is to learn enough about an area that is not well enough
documented or understood so that more concrete testable hypotheses might then
be formulated and then studied if need be, based on the data collected by this
effort.  Other edits adjusted certain language regarding the specific community
proposals to be more neutral and to clarify outputs.

We would like to post the Proxy/Privacy Reveal study RFP as soon as possible,
so please review and give me any final edits by Monday 27 September at 15:00
UTC.

I'm happy to answer questions or address concerns.

Thanks!  Liz