From: William Drake [mailto:william.drake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, 14 June 2010 8:59 PM
To: Adrian Kinderis
Cc: Gomes, Chuck; Rosette, Kristina; GNSO Council List; Knobenw
Subject: Re: [council] AoC RT Endorsement Process, Motion, and Amendments

Hi Adrian

On Jun 14, 2010, at 11:08 AM, Adrian Kinderis wrote:

Bill,

.  I thought we were elected to represent our respective slices of the
community and after consulting with them could act in their names, and if they
don't like what we've done we get unelected in the next cycle.

Is this not the same debate as "participatory vs representative"?

FWIW I'd say it's related but different.  In our discussion prior I suggested
we should allow participation subject to the agreed conditions rather than
following a strictly representational model in which people could only "speak"
through their Councilors, but I certainly didn't suggest that we're not elected
to represent them.  Whereas what Kristina seems to be saying is that only SGs
can take decisions on nominees and Council action would hence be independent of
the community, which would imply we don't represent it.  But maybe I'm failing
to read between these lines correctly...

For what it is worth, I share the same quandary.

I didn't realize the Council was so ontologically challenged.  Would this merit
a group conversation in some setting, e.g. the Saturday dinner?

Bill