RE: [council] News Alert -- Toronto Presentations Published

Thanks for the history Kurt.  I either forgot it or was not aware of some of it.

Chuck

________________________________

        From: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Kurt Pritz
        Sent: Friday, August 28, 2009 7:30 PM
        To: Council GNSO
        Subject: Re: [council] News Alert -- Toronto Presentations Published

        Kristina, Mike, Chuck, et.al.:

        So these meetings were started as meetings between ICANN and gTLD
registrars to promote understanding of registrar obligations under the RAA -
i.e., to improve compliance with RAA contractual conditions. These meetings
were especially necessary and useful in certain regions outside the US where,
it was thought, that registrar obligations were not well understood. With the
accreditation of new registrars, the meetings continue to be very useful for
that reason. Registrar fees are used to improve contractual compliance. These
discussions are necessarily between ICANN and its contracted parties.

        After having meetings for this purpose in Europe and Asia, we received
requests to have a similar meeting in North America. Since then, we have had
three annual meetings in each of the three regions. After the first meeting or
two, Registries asked to be included. Since a large part of the discussion
about ensuring a good registrant experience is related to the
registry-registrar relationship, registry participation was welcomed. I can
understand how participation can seem both obligatory and onerous to registries
to some extent - registries generally attend events in all three regions where
registrars only attend the event in their region.

        The initial meetings were some of the early significant outreach events
conducted by ICANN, especially in Asia. Since funding was not available then
(and we seek to act responsibly and economically now), we asked participants to
sponsor segments - someone pays for lunch, someone pays for dinner, someopne
pays for coffee. This year, among others, Afilias sponsored the baseball game
trip, Tucows sponsored a dinner, ICANN paid for the meeting room, the meeting
planning and coffee. We split the costs. Every participant pays their own way.

        In this meeting in Toronto we discussed in detail the plan for transfer
of registry operations in the event of a failure and, in a separate session,
data transition for terminated registrars. Both these measures are being
implemented for the protection of registrants. Both these measures require
detailed discussions among registries, registrars and ICANN.

        Contractual compliance improvements

        Protection of registrants

        Split the costs

        Implement continuity procedures