RE: [council] Regarding voting rules for conflict of interest - proxies

  • To: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Council GNSO" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Regarding voting rules for conflict of interest - proxies
  • From: "Rosette, Kristina" <krosette@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:25:25 -0400
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I agree that it is an issue that should be addressed when the current
workload abates.

I think it's important that we consider this from an another angle,
namely, avoiding the appearance of impropriety. The appearance - or
perception of the appearance - of impropriety can be just as damaging as
the actual existence of impropriety.  From a conflicts perspective, it
seems to me that allowing a Councilor who has a conflict to vote, albeit
not in a personal capacity, can certainly create the appearance of
impropriety - here, a conflict.  It's certainly possible that some could
attribute that perception not only to the Councilor, but also to her/his
constituency and the Council itself.  I think Bruce's suggestion of a
mechanism for temporary appointments of councilors is a good one.  It
certainly would address the appearance of impropriety issue.