Re: [liaison6c] RE: [council] Board action on GNSO Restructuring
- To: Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [liaison6c] RE: [council] Board action on GNSO Restructuring
- From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
- Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 10:14:27 -0400
- Cc: Denise Michel <denise.michel@xxxxxxxxx>, liaison6c <liaison6c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, alac-announce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- In-reply-to: <47C225A1677444ABA82764D2E88BD8BA@HomenotebookPC>
- List-id: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- References: <046F43A8D79C794FA4733814869CDF0702A6A89A@dul1wnexmb01.vcorp.ad.vrsn.com> <C63B534B.15ECDfirstname.lastname@example.org> <47C225A1677444ABA82764D2E88BD8BA@HomenotebookPC>
- Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 21 May 2009, at 13:23, Tony Holmes wrote:
I think it would be very difficult for a new Council to start with
many new members on a Council teleconference. Ideally that should
occur at a physical meeting to enable those people to actively
engage from the start and Council to maintain momentum.
I think this is right. It might make sense for the plan to seat the
new council at the Seoul meeting.
A possible schedule would be driven by the travel budget requirements
- i.e. all new council members should be known by the time the travel
process begins. Staff could give us that date. The travel folks
might even know it already.
We can work back from there to when SG selection processes would need
to complete in order for the new members to be processed for travel.
And back from there to when the SG charters and by-laws are approved.
The sat/sun could be used for a face to face meeting time for this new
council including getting to know each other time. Perhaps they could
also participate in calls between the time when they are selected and
the time when they take their seats so there is some overlap between
old and new. And finally, funding permitting, perhaps both the old
and new council could participate in the Seoul meeting to form a
Alternatively if the new council can be picked as early as July/
August, an out of band extra meeting could be scheduled. But the
scheduling and funding aspects of that would concern me. On the other
hand, if we consider that the charters for the SGs have yet to be
rewirtten by staff, approved by the SIC, then floated for comment
among the GNSO and commity, before being finalized, I personally think
late summer is the earliest SGs would be ready for council member
selection. And this is assuming all of the SGs are wiling to live
with what the Staff+SIC produces in terms of charters.
I do think the council should try to develop its own timeline, one we
can live with.