[council] IDN gTLD Fast Track discussion

  • To: "'Council GNSO'" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] IDN gTLD Fast Track discussion
  • From: "Edmon Chung" <edmon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 19:17:22 +0800
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Everyone,

Following up on the discussion we had during our wrap up meeting in Mexico,
would like to share some thoughts on a possible IDN gTLD Fast Track concept.
From the discussion at that meeting as well as conversations during and after
Mexico, it seems like there are a few items that could form a starting point
for constructive discussion towards a possible IDN gTLD Fast Track:

1. The New gTLD schedule should not be delayed by an IDN gTLD Fast Track
2. The IDN ccTLD Fast Track schedule should not be delayed by an IDN gTLD Fast
Track
3. An IDN gTLD Fast Track should be viewed as a backup plan should the New gTLD
schedule be further delayed
4. Work on an IDN gTLD Fast Track should begin in preparation for the case that
the New gTLD schedule is further delayed
5. The IDN gTLD Fast Track, if implemented, should:
            - follow closely the process of the IDN ccTLD Fast Track
            - aim to introduce "a limited number of non-contentious" IDN gTLDs
            - be based on the GNSO New gTLD Final Report, including the IDN WG
outcomes report
                (i.e. should not require additional policy development)
            - encourage stronger protection of rights of others

I think we would be allocating some time to discuss the issue in our upcoming
conference call meeting.  Would love to get some feedback and thoughts on the
above items before our meeting.

Wondering what people think about the above points...

Edmon