Re: [council] Council procedures

  • To: Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Council procedures
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 10:36:18 -0500
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

In my personal view, a wiki is a work sheet where council can contribute whatever they like. Likewise for the motions wiki, i see it as a place where we can work out the language and hopefully come to something we agree on.

But yes, only the motions that are made and seconded get voted on. What I have hoped would happen is that people would discuss the motions and their issues with them on the list so that following practices of openness and discussion we could arrive at agreed language by the time we had the meeting. Unfortunately we have less substantive discussion between calls then I hope for.

For substantive motion to be voted on it needs to be available for at least a week before the meeting. Are you indicating that a motion should made and seconded at least a week before the meeting in addition to the proposed text being made available? If this is a practice that has the consensus of the council I am sure we could try to follow it. Council practice to date has been somewhat informal but been determined by practice and consensus, and certainly not following the procedures of formal rules of order. I do not think that having a motion seconded at a meeting is a detriment to credibility as I believe this is a very common practice in voting organizations. Of course as the procedures develop for the bicameral largely non voting council in the later half of 2009, things may work very differently.

Another type of motion that I have included in the wiki are the procedurals one - these are generally the only motions I make, i.e. those that are required by the bylaws etc., I will endeavor to get seconders for them as early as possible. Though often the seconder comes out of the language negotiation phase we have in the meetings. Again it would be better for this to occur on the list before hand, but it mostly doesn't. If we want to get anything done, we need to do it when we can.

a.