[council] Board Resolution on Council restructuring, FYI
- To: "council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, liaison6c <liaison6c@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [council] Board Resolution on Council restructuring, FYI
- From: "Denise Michel" <denise.michel@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 17:18:04 -0700
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:reply-to :sender:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:x-google-sender-auth; bh=KDZ1bHZxbQzXyVdJhA2aqRjumN/3JicDuSSTP7p/0cs=; b=jbd5IiX/rjZI16yLbUHv8J/+Ary1a5LaV7LQ5yC9S10Syd61j1rrLTqw1n1w4kgNrt ghaQbUpaG36U0p/k7hFnXtA0Tuff8ZrLzO2o8YfaLvVJ2iTLJfDypkv14Lbyob19Jdse 9jt5Du3blE/duQK0lAmM0ZdCmOxtq6OJzd5II=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:from:reply-to:sender:to:subject:mime-version :content-type:x-google-sender-auth; b=e92hqGdpgzQZscG8wSF5J9YBk+DA9HXsDRzYGfTWZZ63mzjxVGhL8AQ2maj5/4pfr+ /RBmlX50HzpAW2iNcAQJUG7N+iCzUJO9pRudzq1bqWGRP6E0vL89HeqltIy5gdIOuWsK vlH6fZ2ccZVyi1b/2/9kauSq7lvJZ7igkfWCs=
- List-id: council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Reply-to: denise.michel@xxxxxxxxx
- Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
ICANN's Board approved the following resolution at its 28 August meeting by
a vote of 13-0:
Whereas, on 26 June 2008, the ICANN Board endorsed the set of "GNSO
Improvements" submitted by the Board Governance Committee's GNSO Review
Working Group (BGC-WG), with the exception of the BGC-WG's recommendation on
GNSO Council restructuring.
Whereas, in postponing its decision on Council structure, the Board asked
the GNSO to convene a small working group to "Submit a consensus
recommendation on Council restructuring by no later than 25 July 2008 for
consideration by the ICANN Board ..." (see ICANN Board Resolution
Whereas, that Working Group on GNSO Council Restructuring (WG-GCR) submitted
a report to the Board in late July detailing areas of consensus that it
achieved during its month-long deliberations.
Whereas, the Board discussed the WG-GCR report at its 31 July meeting and
directed the ICANN Staff to thoroughly review the report and share its
recommendations with the Board prior to the 28 August Board meeting.
Whereas, the Board will endeavor to work through the remaining issues during
the next Board meeting.
Resolved, on balance, the WG-GCR report addresses many challenges facing the
community in a way that is consistent with the overarching goals of the GNSO
Improvements package and the BGC GNSO Review WG that developed it.
Resolved, the Board endorses the direction of the WG-GCR report and supports
the bicameral voting structure of the new Council. The Board supports the
establishment of one house (described as the "contracted party house" in the
report) and directs that this house initially will have 3 representatives
from each stakeholder group -- Registrars and Registries -- plus 1 voting
NCA (Nominating Committee appointee). The second house (described in the
report as the "non-contracted party" house) will be composed of 6
representatives from each stakeholder group -- Commercial and Non-commercial
-- plus 1 voting NCA.
Resolved, as noted, the Board accepts the WG-GCR proposal to seat one voting
NCA representative in each of the two houses.
The Board also directs that a third "independent" NCA representative
continue to serve on the Council.
Resolved, the Board directs the GNSO Council to work with ICANN Staff on an
implementation plan for Board approval that creates a transition to this new
structure by the beginning of calendar year 2009. The Board requests that
existing constituencies confirm their status with the Board during the
intervening time period, and requires constituencies to formally confirm
their status every 3 years to ensure that they continue to meet the
requirements of Article X, Section 5, subsection 3 of the ICANN Bylaws. This
will be an opportunity for existing constituencies to demonstrate compliance
with the principles of representativeness, openness, transparency and
fairness set forth in the ICANN Bylaws. The Board also encourages new
constituencies to submit requests for certification, especially during this
Resolved, the Board appreciates the significant amount of work performed by
the WG-GCR and extends its sincere appreciation to working group members
Avri Doria, Chuck Gomes, Alan Greenberg, Tony Holmes, Bertrand de La
Chapelle, Steve Metalitz, Milton Mueller, Jonathon Nevett, and Philip
Sheppard for their efforts on this matter.
The resolution has been posted as part of the preliminary report of last
week's Board meeting at <http://www.icann.org/en/minutes/>. I will discuss
the Board's action at tomorrow's Council meeting.
ICANN VP, Policy