Re: [council] Revised Community Travel Support Procedure for FY09

No one has said Councilors are more important.

It was my understanding that we weren't funding "people" per se, but specific "roles" within the ICANN policy development process. If you want to change it so we are funding the people that we think are contributing the most, that is another story, and we can certainly have that conversation. But we should be clear what we are doing - right now it just looks like a "grab bag" has opened up.

Robin

On Aug 19, 2008, at 11:34 AM, Gomes, Chuck wrote:

I think we have to be careful about thinking of ourselves as more important as Councilors than other GNSO members. If someone is devoting considerable time to GNSO work regardless whether they are on the Council or not we should recognize that and help to meet their travel needs if possible.

Chuck

From: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner- council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Robin Gross
Sent: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:08 PM
To: Greg Ruth
Cc: Council GNSO
Subject: Re: [council] Revised Community Travel Support Procedure for FY09

I agree with Greg. What began as a process to ensure councilors could participate at council meetings has turned into something else entirely.

Robin

On Aug 19, 2008, at 10:50 AM, Greg Ruth wrote:

Basically, I disagree with the notion that some of the travel funding should be allocated to constituencies and some should be earmarked to support WG chairs. I believe the original intent was not to progress WG efforts, but rather to make sure that all stakeholders (constituencies) have an *equal* opportunity to participate. (I would think that a responsible WG chair should have been sure of his/her ability to participate *before* accepting the position.) Therefore, I am in favor of dividing the funding more or less equally among the consituencies and letting each decide how it can best support representation at ICANN meetings.

IP JUSTICE
Robin Gross, Executive Director
p: +1-415-553-6261    f: +1-415-462-6451
w: http://www.ipjustice.org     e: robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx