RE: [council] Point for Discussion

  • To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, ross@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: RE: [council] Point for Discussion
  • From: Mawaki Chango <ki_chango@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 15:30:27 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: GNSO Council <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chuck and all,

Are the bylaws clear about what (or whose views) a council
member's vote expresses  - whether it is an individual
responsibility (e.g., based on the rep's understanding of the
issue at hand and that of the values/interests of their
counstituency, whcih can sometimes differ among reps of the same
constituency) or the mere expression of constituency discipline?
Or does one model apply for some types of decision, and the
others to the rest? What are those types of decision?

I think this is important to clarify. Again (I've said this
before,) not all consituencies enjoy the same level of
homogeneity as RyC, and you may wrongly be taking your
assumptions as valid across borders.

If the bylaws are silent about that question, then this should
be fixed one way or the other, or we should make it clear that
it is up to each constituency to decide and mandate its reps the
way it wants them to do their job in representing it in the
council decision-making processes.

BTW, when I once asked about why one could no longer use proxy
vote, one of the reasons Bruce gave me as explanation was that,
council members need to engage in the whole discussion with
their colleagues, hopefully in a constructive approach, in order
to determine a final decision/position. Such reason would not
make much sense within the context of constituency discipline.
Unless one suspends any decision on that issue and gives at
least a month to the reps for a pedagigical exercise while
playing a detailed remake of the discussion to their
constituency. If such such argument had any theoretical sense,
the transaction costs would obviously be high enough to take it
away.

The irony is, sometimes like in san juan, I hear criticism of
the council having a parliamentary mode of functioning, and some
other times the parallel with a parliamentary model comes across
as positive. It is totally irrational and confusing.

Mawaki