Re: [council] Point for Discussion

I don't know that this level of rigor is required or necessary. The only problem with the previous proxy arrangements was that they weren't permitted under ICANN's bylaws. I don't believe that there was any indication of abuse, or other problems associated with this method, other than the fact that it wasn't technically permissable.

I would like to see proxy's come back, but I don't think that we need to construct anything more elaborate governing their use than we previously used. i.e. a proxy can only be assigned by the person who holds the vote and that the GNSO Secretariat needs to be made aware of the assignment by the person passing the proxy prior to the start of the meeting.

Gomes, Chuck wrote:
I fully understand the reason for eliminating proxy voting on the
Council and support it, but I would like to propose the following for
consideration by the Council.
It seems to me that no constituency should be denied any of their votes
in cases where the constituency as a whole has taken a position on an
issue and one of their Council representatives cannot participate in a
meeting.  In such a case, it seems reasonable to allow any one
constituency representative to case all the votes for the constituency
provided an officer of the constituency confirms that the vote indeed
reflects the wishes of the full consituency as determined through the
constituencies established processes.  As I envision this, it would only
apply in cases where a vote was announced in advance, a constituency
considered the choices and the constituency as a whole provided
direction to its reps regarding how to vote; otherwise, we would simply
be back to proxy voting as previously used.
I am not suggesting this because of any recent or anticiapted issue but
rather think that it is a procedure we should define before we encounter
such a situation.
Thoughts? I am not suggesting this as an agenda item for tomorrows meeting but
simply one for list discussion.  Depending on the discussion that
follows, we could put this item on a future agenda.
Chuck Gomes "This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to

Ross Rader
Director, Retail Services
Tucows Inc.

http://www.domaindirect.com