[council] Revised Updated GNSO Council statements of interest - 27 June 2007

  • To: "council >> 'Council GNSO'" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Revised Updated GNSO Council statements of interest - 27 June 2007
  • From: "GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 15:51:38 +0200
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[To: council[at]gnso.icann.org]

Dear All,

Adrian Kinderis, the Registrar constituency representative, has provided a statement of interest.

They are ordered according to constituencies:
1. Registrar Constituency
2. Commercial and Business Users Constituency
3. Internet Service Providers and Connectivity Providers Constituency
4. Non Commercial Users Constituency
5. Intellectual Property Interests Constituency
6. gTLD Registries constituency
7. Nominating Committee appointees to the GNSO Council

Please let me know if there are any other updates you would like made.

Thank you very much.
Kind regards,

Glen
Adrian Kinderis - Registrar Constituency

I am Managing Director of AusRegistry Group Pty Ltd a company based in Melbourne, Australia and an ICANN accredited Registrar and member of the Registrar Constituency

The AusRegistry Group of companies includes, AusRegistry Pty Ltd, the Registry Services provider for all second level .au domain names and AusRegistry International Pty Ltd, a Registry Consultancy Service.

I hold the position of Director in all companies above.

None of the companies within the AusRegistry Group are affiliated with any gTLD Registry operator with the exception of AusRegistry Pty Ltd of which Afilias has a minority shareholding.

I am not in possession of any gTLD Registry proprietary or sensitive information, nor have I ever been. I am not an officer, director, consultant, or employee of any other member of this Constituency or any other ICANN Constituency.

Ross Rader - Registrar Constituency

I am the Director of Research and Innovation for Tucows Inc., an ICANN
accredited registrar and Internet services vendor. Tucows is a minority
shareholder in Afilias LLC, with roughly an 8% shareholding. Neither
Tucows, nor I, is in possession of, nor have access to Registry
Sensitive or Registry Proprietary information as defined by any relevant
registry operating contracts as a result of this relationship. Tucows
provides consulting and application hosting services to other registrars
and Internet services providers. I am not an officer, director,
consultant, or employee of any of these customer organizations nor am I
specifically involved in providing services to them.

The URL for this statement is:
http://www.byte.org/blog/_WebPages/StatementofInterestsforRossRader.html

Thomas Keller - - Registrar Constituency

I'm a full time employee of Schlund+Partner AG.

Schlund+Partner AG is ICANN accredited and is conducting business with
almost all major gTLDS and ccTLDs. Schlund holds a minority share in
Afilias LLC for investment purposes.Besides domain name registrations
Schlund is mainly offering webhosting and email services to end users.
I'm a member of the DENIC Technical Advisory Council.
Commercial and Business Users Constituency

Alistair Dixon - Commercial and Business Users Constituency

I am a Regulatory and Industry Advisor for TelstraClear, a New
Zealand-based wholly owned subsidiary of Telstra Corporation. My role
consists of providing advice and representing TelstraClear in its
interactions with the New Zealand Government and regulators.

TelstraClear is a full service telecommunications provider and operates
ISP businesses in New Zealand.  TelstraClear is a registrar in the .nz
domain. TelstraClear's parent company Telstra Corporation is a
telecommunications provider that has businesses and customers throughout
the world though principally in the Asia-Pacific region.

I have no employment, contract, financial interest or other business
relationship with ICANN, registries or registrars.

Philip Sheppard - Commercial and Business Users Constituency

I am Public Affairs Manager for AIM - European Brands Association, a
Brussels-based trade association involved in public affairs activities.
AIM represents the branded goods industries in Europe on key issues
which affect the ability of brand manufacturers to design, distribute
and market their brands. AIM's membership groups 1800 companies of all
sizes through corporate members and national associations in 21
countries. These companies are mostly active in every day consumer
goods. AIM's mission is to create for brands an environment of fair and
vigorous competition, fostering innovation and guaranteeing maximum
value to consumers.

I hold various non-remunerated directorships unrelated to ICANN.
I am a contact point for several domain names.
Honorary positions:
- President 2007 International Public Relations Association
(IPRA), the global professional association for the PR profession.
- I am a Freeman of the City of London.

Mike Rodenbaugh - Commercial and Business Users Constituency

I am employed full-time by Yahoo! Inc., as Senior Legal Director.  I
have been elected to the GNSO Council by the Commercial and Business
Users Constituency.

Yahoo! is a leading global Internet brand and one of the most trafficked
Internet destinations worldwide.  Yahoo!'s mission is to connect people
to their passions, their communities, and the world's knowledge.  I
engage ICANN issues from Yahoo!'s perspective as a premier online brand
and diversified business, highly valuing the perspectives of our
customers, partners and users.

Yahoo! has hundreds of thousands of online business customers and
partners which advertise and provide services to our global audience.
We are interested in seeing all of these businesses succeed and grow.
These businesses work with Yahoo! because we have earned one of the
world's largest audiences, requiring that the 'user perspective' remain
extremely important to us always.  And, of course Yahoo! is a famous
brand that is extremely challenging to protect and enforce online,
worldwide.

I believe businesses of all types and sizes share our interest in the
rapid growth of internet commerce, balanced with fair protection of
existing property interests.  I look forward to working with the Council
to address the many serious issues that existing businesses encounter as
a result of ICANN policy.
ISPCP Constituency

Anthony Harris - ISPCP Constituency

I am under contract as full time executive director of CABASE,
a non-profit Internet industry association, incorporated as such in
Argentina since 1999.

- consulting work done for ICANN - NONE
- consulting work done for a gtld or cctld registry, or current
    applicant to become a gtld or cctld registry - NONE
- consulting work done for a registrar - NONE
- employment with a registry or registrar - NONE

Greg Ruth - ISPCP Constituency

I am a Senior Consultant for Verizon Business, a global communications,
security and technology provider. My duties consist primarily of
providing consulting services. As a multi-national organization,
Verizon Business has many customer and vendor relationships, and some
of those relationships may include ICANN accredited registrars,
registries as well as members of other GNSO constituencies. In the
normal course of my duties, I have no knowledge of which ICANN related
organizations my company is contractually involved with. My position
and responsibilities in Verizon Business do not allow me any decision
making power, personal involvement, responsibility or other interest in
determining or carrying out the contractual relationships in which my
company enters. As a global network provider, my company's interest in
ICANN is for the security and stability of the Internet. I do not have
any relationships or duties outside my company that would involve any
issues of interest to or conflict with ICANN, and my duties in the
GNSO.

This statement of interest will be maintained at:

http://www.icannwiki.org/Greg_Ruth_-_statement_of_interest

Tony Holmes - ISPCP Constituency

I am employed within BT Group's Chief Technology Office with the
responsibility for determining numbering, naming and addressing policy
and strategy for BT Group PLC.

BT is a large ISP and infrastructure provider and operates in many
countries across the world. BT is also an accredited ICANN Registrar,
but is not currently operational.

I participate in, and hold official positions in a number of other
technology focused technical and policy making bodies at both the
national and international level, none of which cause conflict with my
work in ICANN. I have no employment, contract, financial interest or
other business relationship with ICANN, registries or registrars except
BT.

I am an elected representative of the ISP and Connectivity Providers
Constituency to the GNSO.
Non Commercial Users Constituency

Robin Gross - Non Commercial Users Constituency

I am a representative of the Non-Commercial Users Constituency
on the GNSO Policy Council.  I am the Executive Director of IP
Justice, an international civil liberties organization based in San
Francisco that promotes balanced intellectual property laws and
free expression in a digital environment.  IP Justice is a California
not-for-profit corporation and public charity under 501(c)(3).  I am
also licensed to practice law throughout California, and serve on
the Board of Directors of the Union for the Public Domain, a
not-for-profit corporation based in Washington DC.   From 1999-2002,
I was an intellectual property attorney with the Electronic Frontier
Foundation (EFF).  In 2006 I was appointed to advisory group of the
UN Internet Governance Forum (IGF).

Norbert Klein – Non-Commercial Users Constituency

I am at present a consultant to a Cambodian non-government organization,
the Open Forum of Cambodia, which was created in 1994 to facilitate and
to foster communication – not only electronic communication – in the
conflictive, post-civil war Cambodian society.

My relation to the Internet, and since 1999 to ICANN, originated from
the fact that I created in 1994 the first possibility for people in
Cambodia to have access to e-mail, and in 1996 I created the possibility
to have an e-mail address in Cambodia: .kh

Neither I nor the Open Forum of Cambodia have registered a top level
domain – we use a secondary domain for our organization, under the ccTLD
of Cambodia, .kh

For myself, I use a webmail account by the German provider GMX,  a GMX
ProMail account,  for which I pay the normal set  fees.

Neither we as an organization, nor I as an individual, own or have in
any other way an economic interest in any IT or ICT company or related
holding.

Mawaki Chango - Non Commercial Users Constituency

I am currently a full-time Ph.D. student and Graduate Assistant, and
I represent the Non-Commercial Users Constituency on the GNSO
Council. In addition, I am involved in social activism through my
participation in ACSIS (African Civil Society for Information
Society), as ICT policy advocator, and advisor to the ACSIS’
President.

Over the last five years, I have been involved as a consultant with
UNESCO, the International Development Research Centre, Open Society
Initiative for West Africa (Dakar), the Eduardo Mondlane University
(Maputo), and EvalNet (Johannesburg). I have never been involved in
any business related to the distribution and operation of Internet
resources.
Intellectual Property Interests Constituency

Ute Decker -  Intellectual Property Interests Constituency
Revised Statement of Interest - GNSO Council

I am a lawyer based in London and an employee of Microsoft.  I
participate in the work of the Council as an individual member of the
Intellectual Property Constituency.  I do not represent Microsoft's
interest of views in the IPC or on the GNSO Council.  I do not have
a financial or other interest in any registrar or registry.

Cyril Chua -  Intellectual Property Interests Constituency

 I am a partner in a law firm.  Our clients are usually IPR owners like
Microsoft, the Entertainment Software Association, Association of
American Publishers etc.  I have checked with all my partners and none
of my partners have done any work for any domain name registrants and
could not think of issues of conflict.

Kristina Rosette  - Intellectual Property Interests Constituency

I am employed as a Special Counsel by Covington & Burling LLP
(“Covington”), a general practice law firm with over 600 lawyers in five
offices in three countries.  I am resident in Covington’s Washington, DC
office and am a member of the District of Columbia bar.
I specialize in Internet and trademark matters, and represent trademark
owner clients in connection with such matters.  Among my
responsibilities, I develop and implement offensive and defensive domain
name registration, Internet monitoring, and enforcement strategies;
reclaim domain names through negotiation, arbitration (under the UDRP,
.biz STOP, and .mobi Sunrise Challenge policies, thus far), and
litigation; and advise clients on the use of keywords and sponsored
links.  In connection with advising firm clients of generally noteworthy
trademark- or Internet-related developments, I have also provided
information and updates on domain name system developments (e.g.,
posting of reports for public comment, announcements of new policies
such as the Domain Name Transfer Policy, .eu Sunrise requirements).  All
such communications have been, and will continue to be, based solely on
publicly available information and documents.
From time to time, I register or acquire in my own name domain names
for firm clients.  I am currently the registrant of several domain
names, both on behalf of firm clients and in an individual capacity.
From time to time and as circumstances warrant, I have completed and
submitted Whois Data Problem Reports on behalf of firm clients.
Since 2004, I have been a member of the Registration Practice and DNS
Administration Subcommittee of the International Trademark Association’s
Internet Committee.
I have determined that Covington does not represent ICANN and does not
represent any clients in matters in which ICANN is an adverse party.
Covington did represent the International Cooperative Alliance in
connection with the formation and establishment of DotCooperation LLC,
the .coop registry operator, but that matter has been closed for some
time.  I have also determined that Covington neither represents any gTLD
or sTLD registry operator in matters relating to its capacity as a
registry operator nor represents any client in matters adverse to such
registry operators as registry operators.  Based on the responses to my
inquiries, Covington does not represent any ccTLD registry operator in
its capacity as a registry operator nor does it represent any client in
matters adverse to any ccTLD registry operators as registry operators.
To the best of my knowledge, Covington does not represent any
ICANN-accredited registrar in its capacity as a registrar nor does it
represent any firm client in a matter adverse to a registrar as
registrar.  From time to time, Covington has represented firm clients in
intellectual property matters adverse to registrars, and it is likely to
do so periodically in the future.  I have not been involved in such
matters.  It is possible that a firm client is an ICANN-accredited
registrar, but, if so, Covington does not represent it in such matters.

gTLD Registries constituency

Cary Karp -  gTLD Registries constituency

I am Director of Internet Strategy and Technology at the Swedish
Museum of Natural History (NRM), an agency of the Swedish government.
This is a full-time salaried position.

I serve in a similar capacity for the International Council of Museums
(ICOM) of which I am an individual member and NRM is an institutional
member. I receive a small additional honorarium for that activity.

I hold a non-remunerated position as the President and CEO of the
Museum Domain Management Association (MuseDoma), the Sponsoring
Organization for the .museum TLD.

NRM is the largest museum in Sweden and charged with advising private
and corporate entities in that country in matters relating to its
sphere of expertise. I am regularly involved in such action. Current
activity includes a joint initiative with NIC-SE, the operator of the
.se ccTLD, which is collaborating with NRM in a project in the context
of the Swedish national "Year of Cultural Diversity 2006". I also
advise NIC-SE in general matters relating to IDN.

I may from time to time receive separate honoraria for advisory
services provided as a result of my position at NRM, and may be
similarly compensated for writing and speaking engagements.

ICOM is an NGO maintaining formal relations with UNESCO and having
consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social
Council. I am directly involved in activity conducted by ICOM in its
relationship with UNESCO.

I represent MuseDoma in the gTLD Registry Constituency and am the
elected representative for the sTLDs on the GNSO Council.

I conduct no other activity with, and have no other interests of any
kind that involve, entities maintaining business or contractual
relationships with ICANN.

Chuck Gomes - gTLD Registries constituency

I am Vice President of Policy and Compliance for VeriSign, Inc.
VeriSign is the registry operator for the .com and the .net gTLDs and
also provides backend registry services in support of Global Name
Registry for the .name gTLD and Employ Media for the .jobs gTLD.
VeriSign is also the registry operator for two ccTLDs, .cc for the Cocos
and Keelings Islands and .tv for Tuvalu.

As an employee who supports VeriSign’s naming services business, I do
often have access to Registry Sensitive information including
information about registrars.  With regard to both our gTLD and ccTLD
registration services businesses as well as other VeriSign businesses,
our customers and business associates have interests in various ICANN
policy issues and may be members of other GNSO constituencies and/or
supporting organizations.

In addition to registry agreements with ICANN for .com and .net,
VeriSign also has obligations to the U.S. Department of Commerce through
a cooperative agreement that was initiated in 1993 and has been amended
many times since then.  Those obligations include providing the A and J
root servers as well as support to ICANN in implementing changes in the
root zone file.  As such, VeriSign is a member of the DNS Root Server
System Advisory Committee and also works closely with IANA staff in the
processing of root zone changes.

As a representative elected to the GNSO Council by the unsponsored gTLD
registry members of the gTLD Registry Constituency (RyC), I am required
by the Constituency’s Articles of Operation to represent the views of
those members and the full Constituency as applicable, not my own or
VeriSign’s.  In that regard, I will endeavor to always qualify any
personal statements as such and will follow-up with the RyC to obtain
their position.

I own shares of VeriSign stock and hold options to purchase additional
shares, but the amount of shares I currently own plus the potential
shares I could possibly own if I exercised all options is a miniscule
number relative to the total number of VeriSign shares.

Edmon Chung - gTLD Registries constituency
December 22, 2006

I am currently serving as the CEO for DotAsia Organisation Ltd.  DotAsia
is the registry operator and sponsor for the ICANN Sponsored gTLD
".ASIA".  DotAsia is a not-for-profit membership based organization
incorporated in Hong Kong.  The current members of DotAsia includes 20
ccTLDs (".AF", ".BT", ".CN", ".ID", ".IN", ".IR", ".JP", ".KH", ".KR",
".KZ", ".MN", ".MO", ".NU", ".NZ", ".PH", ".SG", ".TJ", ".TW", ".UZ" and
".VN") in the Asia community and 3 regional organisations: APNIC, APNG
and PAN.  APNIC is an RIR in the ICANN ASO.

Prior to joining DotAsia, I was the Creative Director of Afilias Ltd.
Afilias is the registry operator for the ICANN gTLD ".INFO".  Afilias
also provides registry services to other ICANN gTLDs, including ".ORG",
".AERO" and ".MOBI", as well as other ccTLDs including ".IN", ".AG",
".GI", ".SC", ".HN", ".BZ", ".VC", ".MN", ".LA", and ".SG".

Nominating Committee appointees to the GNSO Council

Sophia Bekele - Nominating Committee appointee to the GNSO Council

I represent a California based, privately held company, CBS Enterprise
Group, which is engaged in international business.    As part of its
portfolio of services, the company provides systems integration services
through CBS International, which delivers domain registration, web
hosting and email services to end users via a reseller, agreement with
registrars.  Less than 10% of CBS's business is derived from these
services.

In my personal capacity, I do not have any of my moneys, invested in
companies that are in the registrar businesses.  I do not believe that
any activities of the Council or ICANN could have a material effect on
the work I do at CBS International.

Avri Doria - Nominating Committee appointee to the GNSO Council
http://psg.com/~avri/icann-stmt-interest.html

I am an independent research consultant and an adjunct professor at
Luleå University of Technology in Sweden. I also have a recurring
contract with the Internet Governance Forum (IGF) as a consultant to its
secretariat.  I have no employment, contract, financial interest, share
ownership or any other business relationship with ICANN, registries or
registrars except as a registrant of several domain names.

As part of my volunteer activities I give advice to various
representatives of indigenous nomadic and semi-nomadic populations on
Internet topics which include the possibility of obtaining an TLD.  I am
currently involved in activities that may lead to the creation of an non
governmental organization (NGO) whose primary purpose would be to assist
indigenous groups as well as populations from the less developed
nations, NGOs active in representing the needs of these populations, and
other advocacy groups, in obtaining a presence on the Internet.  These
activities may involve providing assistance in obtaining a TLD,
including assistance in raising the necessary funding for a TLD, when
that is an appropriate solution to their goals.

Jon Bing - Nominating Committee appointee to the GNSO Council

I am a Professor at the Faculty of Law, University of Oslo, holding a
chair in Computers and Law created 1988. I work within the Norwegian
Research Center for Computers and Law,
(http://www.jus.uio.no/iri/english/index.html) an institution I
co-funded in 1970. This makes me an old-timer within this area of law,
consequently I also have broad research interests – an inheritance from
the time one thought “computers and law” was a very narrow and esoteric
field. I have worked extensively with legal information systems, text
retrieval and knowledge based methods related to this. My interests in
substantial law includes data protection (or privacy), intellectual
property law applied to computer programs, databases, integrated
circuits, and other material in machine-readable form, and media and
communication law. I have in the past been member of the General Board
of the Norwegian Research Council, and am currently chairing a research
program on vulnerability and society within the NRC. I am a member of
the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters, doctor honoris causa of
Stockholm and Copenhagen, a former Visiting Professor of King’s College
(University of London), and have collected many embarrassing honorary
prizes or titles. A sketchy home page may be found at
http://www.jus.uio.no/iri/english/nrccl/people/associates/bing.html.

The NRCCL is mainly financed by the state through the University budget,
but accept external contracts. Among these are projects financed by the
European Communities (though not a member of the EU, Norway participates
on equal standing within the research co-operation), funds made
available from the Ministry of Culture and Church Affairs (the funds are
used to sponsor various activities related to copyright), and funds from
NORID, which operates the Norwegian country domain .no. These latter
funds are used for our research on Internet governance, which is taught
in our international Master of Law and Information Communication
Technology programme. This sponsorship has gone on from 2004, and
English language anthology is expected to be published 2007. A set of
ethical rules ensures the independence of the NRCCL from any outside
source of funding.

I have in the past been consultant to several international
organisations; these include OCED (both ICCP and PUMA), the EU
Commission, UNESCO, WIPO, and UNDP. I have also been Norwegian delegate
to specialised functions within OECD, WIPO, European Cultural Fund and
UNESCO. Currently I am member of the International Advisory Committee of
the UNESCO Memory of the World Programme (ending 2007). Nationally, I
have served within may administrative or legal functions related to
culture, for instance chair of the Art Council, Film Council, Cassette
Tax Foundation etc, member of the Royal Commissions of the Freedom of
Expression (which lead to an amendment of the Constitution), The Royal
Commission of Copyright, and the Commission on Converging Technologies.
I currently chair the Data Protection Tribunal.

I published my first collection of short-stories 1967, and with my
fellow writer Tor Åge Bringsværd is often given the blame from having
introduced science fiction to Norway. I have since them – under by own
name or the joint by-line Bing & Bringsværd – published stories, novels,
dramatic works for stage, television, and radio, and the libretti of
four operas. I have translated a large number of fiction and non-fiction
works (among them Bill Gates’ autobiography), and edited more than
twenty science fiction anthologies. In Norway, I may be better known as
an author than anything else. My next novel will be a juvenile scheduled
for publication spring 2007.

I have served as the legal advisor to creative writers in Norway
1970-90, which certainly has influenced my perspective with respect to
intellectual property. Currently, I am partner in the law firm Bing & Co
(http://www.bing.no/ ), which mainly has a “back-office” function with
respect to other law firms, but also manages my somewhat extensive
commercial lecturing.

Alan Greenberg - At Large Advisory Committee liaison to the GNSO Council

Other than my ALAC and GNSO participation, I have neither a business
relationship nor substantive any involvement with either ICANN or
organizations significantly affected by decisions or recommendations
made by ICANN or its constituent bodies.

Glen de Saint Géry
GNSO Secretariat - ICANN
gnso.secretariat[at]gnso.icann.org
http://gnso.icann.org