Re: [council] Vice Chair Position Statement
- To: "Gomes, Chuck" <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [council] Vice Chair Position Statement
- From: "Sophia B" <sophiabekele@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 16:25:38 -0700
- Cc: "GNSO Council" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; b=MpCnoP24gnNWVSrfsYwQq92IblROfycfzfVpJ7QKvPRza671TR8U8b4nKxlY0jIqDogNSSP8KDP5wo1SjhaCULE3C0WROq/a+jLXyMgaWs6royY0u9RnaggYyra+0YU17Sp2asXwuu/iG9tHRgFJdSY9Zs3eJZPgMoJN2XOxPR8=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; b=fn+0y4iXMpv9Kwl4hoscxUfksU9B8wME1PysfibJMTQNMhCc9nZREQlMBd8CaunkXVXtSyL1qo0AH2agvLbzlESUWaX5vMWxHarSAuy1dJ4rDphV9I4sf8tRudLkxxcz/ckRvAb5D5W1XMvj56eziDDTqIARTnG4Chnvu5gySeg=
- In-reply-to: <046F43A8D79C794FA4733814869CDF0701E63386@dul1wnexmb01.vcorp.ad.vrsn.com>
- References: <046F43A8D79C794FA4733814869CDF0701E63386@dul1wnexmb01.vcorp.ad.vrsn.com>
- Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thank you for the efficient introduction and clarification of the Vice Chair
Please allow me to make a brief statement of why I believe Chuck is the
right candidate. I have been on the GNSO council since 12/05 and as an
active participant on the council, I have listened to Chuck's contributions
on critical issues that affect the GNSO and the broader ICANN community.
Even though he represents a specific constituency, I have found his input to
the council most fair and his views unbiased.
Mostly, I was able to see his leadership capabilities during the RN WG
meetings. I believe I have communicated this to a few others including
Chuck. It is the first time during my term that I saw issues and work
delegated and managed and reported in such a way that gets people involved
and allocates shared responsibility, not to put down Bruce's leadership,
which has its own qualities. Chuck is very direct, organized in his thought
and work, and sincerely, I would have voted for his style of leadership as
the Chair of the GNSO as well, if Avri was not elected.
I think ICANN needs this type of leadership, that is open, transparent,
unbiased, organized, and able to handle highly sensitive issues with great
temperament and confidence and in a fair and equitable manner.
Thank you Chuck for volunteering for this very important and busy task.
On 21/06/07, Gomes, Chuck <cgomes@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
As suggested by Glen, I am submitting this position statement in response
to my nomination for GNSO Council Vice Chair.
Let me start by saying that I fully understand that the role of vice chair
is new to the Council and that it may not be continued in the future. As
I see it, this is a trial that will be evaluated by the Council and as such
the position may go away at the end of the current term recently vacated by
Bruce and now filled by Avri.
Until such time as the Council provides specific guidelines for the role
of vice chair, I am assuming that it will entail these responsibilities,
probably in the priority listed:
1. Perform the role of chair when Avri is unable to do so
2. At Avri's direction, assist her in fulfilling tasks that are often
assumed by the chair, thereby lightening her workload
3. At the Council's direction, perform other tasks as needed.
With regard to filling the role of chair in Avri's absence, if and when
that occurs, I am committed to doing so in a neutral manner that facilitates
fully open and efficient debate on all issues regardless of my personal view
points or the views of the Registry Constituency that I represent. Whenever
I express personal or constituency views I will always try to preface such
Regarding assisting Avri and performing tasks requested by the Council, I
am committed to being as helpful as I can in contributing to the work of the
Council as needed. Hopefully, this will not be any different from the way
I have functioned as a Council member to date or as I would function in the
future if I am not elected vice chair.
For those who may not know me very well I think it is helpful for me to
point out that I am a firm believer in open discussion of all points of
view. I like to try to identify competing elements of issues and enjoy
others doing that as well. I believe that the fuller airing we have, the
better decisions we will make. In doing that though, people sometimes
think I am advocating for a particular position when I may in fact just be
attempting to make sure we cover as many sides as possible. Also, I like
to use questions to encourage discussion and help uncover factors that might
otherwise be overlooked. I sincerely believe that disagreement is healthy
because it helps each of us validate our own thinking and then work together
to develop stronger positions.
Whether I am elected vice chair or not, I would request the following: if
anyone ever is unsure about the intent of my actions, please ask me, and
always feel free to disagree with me.