Re: [council] GNSO Council teleconference MP3 recording 24 May 2007

  • To: "GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gnso.secretariat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Council GNSO'" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] GNSO Council teleconference MP3 recording 24 May 2007
  • From: Mawaki Chango <ki_chango@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 13:05:01 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Council,

My apologies I was finally not available to make it to today
teleconf as I had expected.

I just listened to the MP3. Regarding the item 5 (see below), my
count of the votes does not match the one you announced on the
call, Bruce, i.e. "10 votes in favor". I have counted 8 YES
(Bruce, Philip, Kristina, Mike, Ross, Alistair, Tony, and Greg),
6 NO (Avri, Robin, Norbert, Sophia, Chuck, and Edmond), and 1
Abstention (Thomas).

So I'd request that the correct results be confirmed (after
double-checking), and if relevant, the subsequent request of an
issue report on IGO names be reconsidered.
Thanks,

Mawaki

Item 5:  Motion to request issues report on protecting IGO names
and
abbreviations

Whereas, the GNSO Council recognizes the recommendation put
forward by
the IPC Constituency regarding possible measures in line with
WIPO-2 to
protect International Intergovernmental Organizations (IGO)
names and
abbreviations as domain names.

Whereas, the GNSO Council notes that measures to protect IGO
names and
abbreviations are requested in the GAC principles for New gTLDs.

Whereas, the GNSO Council notes that WIPO is the maintenance
agency for
the authoritative list of relevant IGO names and abbreviations
protected
under Article 6ter of the Paris Convention
(http://www.wipo.int/article6ter/en/ ).

The GNSO Council requests that the staff produce an issues
report on
the
policy issues associated with adequately handling disputes
relating to
IGO names and abbreviations as domain names.

The GNSO Council also requests that the staff liaise with WIPO
utilize its knowledge and experience of WIPO-2.

Bruce,

--- "GNSO.SECRETARIAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"