[council] FW: Invitation to GAC members and colleagues to participate in GNSO Working Group on Whois

  • To: "Council GNSO" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] FW: Invitation to GAC members and colleagues to participate in GNSO Working Group on Whois
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 18:24:17 +1000
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To: Chair, GAC

From: Chair, GNSO Council

CC: GAC Liaison to the GNSO

Dear Janis,

On 28 March, 2007, the GNSO Council voted to create a new Working Group
on Whois to further develop the recent policy recommendations submitted
to the GNSO Council by its Whois Task Force. The Working Group has a
tightly focused charter, a 120 day timeline, and is canvassing a broad,
representative membership.  The Working Group will address recent public
comments regarding the policy recommendations, and will take into
account the Public Policy Principles on Whois developed by the
Governmental Advisory Committee to the ICANN Board.

I invite members of the Government Advisory Committee to consider
participating in this Working Group, in their own capacities and
bringing their government expertise to bear on this work. I also invite
and encourage members of the GAC to consider whether their government
colleagues in agencies and departments dealing with aspects of the Whois
issue, such as law enforcement, data protection and consumer protection,
might participate in the group in their own capacities.

Participation in this group by government representatives and experts
would be warmly welcomed encouraged by the GNSO Council, given the
insight and expertise GAC members and their colleagues have to offer.

It may also be useful to schedule a call between the GAC and the GNSO
working group to discuss the GAC principles relating to WHOIS.

I attach for your information the Charter of the Whois Working Group
which indicates the work programme and methodology of the group, and
provides background information and references. The group will have 120
days to conclude its work and report to the GNSO Council, and is
expected to conclude its work 30 July, 2007.   The GNSO Council has
appointed Philip Sheppard as the Interim Chair of this working group.

I would very much appreciate if you could extend this invitation to
members of the GAC, and encourage them to contact the ICANN staff member
supporting this Working Group, Maria Farrell at maria.farrell@xxxxxxxxx.

Regards,

Bruce Tonkin