RE: [council] Regarding confusion amongst two letter codes
- To: "GNSO Council" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: RE: [council] Regarding confusion amongst two letter codes
- From: "Mike Rodenbaugh" <mxr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 11:06:48 -0700
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; s=serpent; d=yahoo-inc.com; c=nofws; q=dns; h=x-mimeole:content-class:mime-version:content-type: content-transfer-encoding:subject:date:message-id:x-ms-has-attach: x-ms-tnef-correlator:thread-topic:thread-index:references:from:to; b=enMeP+L623UZ0RfbbKT5bCaUaXpAGtyji4qvCCpX8t/dcVNVKinj5pry2JNt+hcZ
- References: <9B5C12743D26C94CB3CB22524DC98D4E038D5E09@SNV-XCHMAIL2.xch.corp.yahoo.com> <57AD40AED823A7439D25CD09604BFB540437EDA1@balius.mit>
- Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Thread-index: AcdytSTG9MX+YUwIT4OGh+uMONBsjQAAAahAAALe+uAAAEHbIABm3qWgANO9PdA=
- Thread-topic: [council] Regarding confusion amongst two letter codes
Thanks Bruce, so can we ask both the GAC and the ISO Maintenance Agency?
Also would love to see that research if you have or can recall any other
identifying info so I can find?
Sr. Legal Director
From: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Bruce Tonkin
Sent: Sunday, April 01, 2007 6:43 PM
To: GNSO Council
Subject: [council] Regarding confusion amongst two letter codes
> Furthermore, we note close similarity among many longstanding
> ccTLDs (such as .ai/.al, .am/.an, .bi/.bj, .ch/.cn, .gg/.gq,
> .ni/.nl, .to/.tp and others). Is the GAC aware of any
> confusion amongst users of these ccTLDs?
Actually this could be a good question to ask about the ISO list in
general. Ie did the ISO consider the potential for confusion when
selecting the two letter codes?
Actually I have read some research to indicate that humans are better
able to distinguish differences in short strings rather than long
E.g humans can spot the difference between "to" and "tom" relatively
easily, but not necessarily between "licence" and "license" .