[council] Terms of ICANN Board Directors

  • To: "GNSO Council" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Terms of ICANN Board Directors
  • From: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 16:58:59 +1100
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Marilyn,

> However I am not clear what the Board term limits are. I'll
> look that up as a point of information

The Board term limits are set out in (
http://www.icann.org/general/bylaws.htm#VI) :

Article VI, Section 8 (5):

"5. Subject to the provisions of the Transition Article of these Bylaws,
no Director may serve more than three consecutive terms. For these
purposes, a person selected to fill a vacancy in a term shall not be
deemed to have served that term."

A Director is normally appointed for a 3 year term, so this would mean a
total of 9 years is possible.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin