Re: [council] Regarding Item 4: Proposed bylaws amendment to improve transparency with respect to contract approvals

  • To: Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Regarding Item 4: Proposed bylaws amendment to improve transparency with respect to contract approvals
  • From: Daniel Halloran <daniel.halloran@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 19:54:31 -0700
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Bruce,

Attached is a draft proposal for consideration by the GNSO Council in response to the Council's request to "improve transparency with respect to contract approvals." In preparing this language our goal was to attempt to meet the GNSO's needs, while not (inadvertently) requiring the Board to post every consulting contract or grammar correction to a registry agreement, etc. This proposed new Bylaws provision would require ICANN to notify the GNSO Council and allow for at least a 21-day public comment period before approving any GTLD (sponsored or unsponsored) registry or registrar agreement that is substantially different from other past ICANN agreements:

"With respect to any proposed GTLD registry or registrar agreement that includes material contractual provisions that substantially differ from other past ICANN agreements, ICANN will notify the GNSO Council and post the proposed agreement with a public comment forum on the ICANN website at least twenty-one days (and if practical, longer) prior to any final approval of the agreement."

I look forward to working with you in order to finalize this effort as quickly as possible. Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions or if I can be of any other assistance.

Best Regards,
Daniel Halloran
Deputy General Counsel
ICANN