[council] a question that comes from reading the LSE report:

  • To: Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] a question that comes from reading the LSE report:
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Sep 2006 10:10:33 -0400
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

In recommendation 13 of the report,

    (for those who have not seen it yet :
     http://icann.org/announcements/announcement-15sep06.htm )

they recommend term limits of 2@2 year or 1@3 year. I never gave any thought to how long people had been in the council and was wondering if a list of councilors with their years in the council could be generated. I am curious as to how many councilors this would affect if it were the practice. I looked for such a table in the Annex, and while I may have missed it, did not see one. Might even be interesting to include that information in the council members list at http://gnso.icann.org/council/members.shtml .

Note on my personal opinions on the the issue:
I am not in general in favor of strict term limits, but i am in favor of transparency that allows all to know how long someone has been in place. In terms of renewals I tend to prefer guidelines that. e.g. say

- after 1 term  - renew unless there is a reason not to
- after 2 terms - renew if there is a good reason to do so
- after 3 terms - do not renew unless it is vitally important to do so

thanks
a.