[council] RE: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] Regarding communicating task force/committee work with the press and other outside groups

  • To: "'Bruce Tonkin'" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Council GNSO'" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <pdp-pcceg-feb06@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gnso-dow123@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] RE: [pdp-pcceg-feb06] Regarding communicating task force/committee work with the press and other outside groups
  • From: "Marilyn Cade" <marilynscade@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 09:44:02 -0400
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Bruce,

I know that media are always interested in talking to Councilors, chairs,
and TF members. :-)

And, in fact, having been a chair of a TF, have had these situations occur.
In my view, I think your proposal is much the way that it has been handled
in the past.

I especially agree that when it is "policy in process", none of us on TFs as
members, or Councilors in Council, or even chairs, should be speculating on
outcomes or implications with media. As one who is rather seasoned at much
policy discussion and sometimes policy agreements [:-)], it is always
premature to announce or predict an outcome until it is agreed.

On the other hand, transparency is critical, and I also note that we have a
public process that allows for transparency, including recordings and
transcripts, so members of TF and Council can be assured that the broader
community can follow the work. I do think that transparency is ever
improving with the addition of the transcript versions of the MP3
recordings.

I support your note to TF and Council below.

Marilyn Cade