[council] Regarding communicating task force/committee work with the press and other outside groups
- To: "'Council GNSO'" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: [council] Regarding communicating task force/committee work with the press and other outside groups
- From: "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:10:03 +0200
- In-reply-to: <57AD40AED823A7439D25CD09604BFB5403434726@balius.mit>
- Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Thread-index: AcbX5f3SQ9UIEu/FQK6y3Y5MXUInLQAB3HHA
Bruce, this is a key issue.
The price of transparency is responsibility.
- No TF/Council member or observer should ever speak for the group unless they
- The function of group membership or observer-status is to be able to report
developments to a constituency or organisation.
- It is inappropriate for any group member or observer to speak to the press
"under discussion". Any such press contact should only occur after the group
has finalised a
formal step and then the individual must make it clear that they are commenting
written output in their personal (or when authorised group) capacity.
Anything less will lead to scare stories and sensationalism.