Re: [council] Purpose of Whois - informational materials

  • To: Maria Farrell <maria.farrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Purpose of Whois - informational materials
  • From: Robin Gross <robin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 07:18:48 -0700
  • Cc: "'Council GNSO'" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Maria,

If we are to append additional reports to these informational materials, and I do support the notion of supplying as much relevant info as possible, then we need to include the following resources in our informational materials also:

Letter from Jennifer Stoddart, Privacy Commissioner of Canada to Dr. Paul Twomey, 11 July, 2006
http://www.icann.org/correspondence/stoddart-to-twomey-11jul06.pdf

Article 29 Working Party of the European Union letter, 22 June, 2006
http://www.icann.org/correspondence/schaar-to-cerf-22jun06.pdf

Commission de la Protection de la Privee (Belgium) letter, 22 June, 2006
http://www.icann.org/correspondence/parisse-to-icann-22jun06.pdf

EPIC Testimony to US Congress on WHOIS,18 July 2006
http://www.epic.org/privacy/whois/phishing_test.pdf

Thank you,
Robin

Maria Farrell wrote:

Dear all,
Attached are several Word documents that provide information requested by the GNSO Council on 26 July in the following resolutions:

"(2) The ICANN staff will provide a summary of the other interpretations of the definition that have been expressed during the public comment period, and subsequently in correspondence from the public and governments.”

This information is provided in the document: SUMMARY OF INTERPRETATIONS OF THE DEFINITION OF WHOIS.doc

..” (1) The ICANN staff will review a representative sample of cctld registry or cctld registrar agreements with registrants, taking into account the issues of geographical diversity and rule of law variances, to identify some of the purposes for which registrars collect Personal Data in the course of registering a domain name for their customers.”

This information is provided in the document: ccTLD registrant agreements.doc

“The ICANN staff will review a representative sample of registrar agreements with Registered Name Holders, taking into account the issues of geographical diversity and rule of law variances, to identify some of the purposes for which registrars collect Personal Data in the course of registering a domain name for their customers.”

This information is provided in the document: gTLD registrant agreementst purpose of Whois collection.doc

"(3) The ICANN staff will summarise the current material that has resulted from WHOIS discussions since 2002 that document the current uses and abuses of the Personal Data that is currently made public through the WHOIS service.”

This information is provided in the document: Uses of Whois data2006.doc

All of this information will also be presented in html form and posted to the GNSO website to make it more easily accessible in the future.

Best regards, Maria Farrell