Re: [council] Purpose of Whois - informational materials

  • To: Maria Farrell <maria.farrell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Purpose of Whois - informational materials
  • From: Ross Rader <ross@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 08:29:45 -0400
  • Cc: "'Council GNSO'" <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Maria Farrell wrote:

This information is provided in the document: SUMMARY OF INTERPRETATIONS OF
THE DEFINITION OF WHOIS.doc

Maria -

After a quick review of this document, I'd recommend that one of the headers in the tables labeled "Public comments period, January / February 2006" and "Input from governments and the public, May – July 2006 " be changed from "Interpretation of definition of Whois (“Formulation 1”)" to "Perceived Impact of Formulation 1". In reading through this document, each of the commenters has indicated their opinion of what may happen if Formulation 1 is adopted as policy, but none have provided an interpretation, as least not as I understand the word, of the recommended proposal.

i.e. each of the submissions in effect states "I/We believe that this proposal will have the effect of...". An interpretation would more properly be worded along the lines of "Put another way, this proposal states that...".

Bruce  -

I have questions about the other documents. Presumably there will be time allocated to discuss these documents before they are accepted by Council?

Thanks,

-ross