Re: [council] Re: [domains-gen] Vint Cerf/ICANN confirm my interpretation of .biz/info/org proposed contracts -- tiered/differential domain pricing would not be forbidden

  • To: ross@xxxxxxxxxx, Council GNSO <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] Re: [domains-gen] Vint Cerf/ICANN confirm my interpretation of .biz/info/org proposed contracts -- tiered/differential domain pricing would not be forbidden
  • From: Mawaki Chango <ki_chango@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:40:34 -0700 (PDT)
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm not sure I fully understand this argument, from both sides.

We are talking about TLD registry agreements, and as far as I
understand, registries trade the portion of the DNS space under their
control (.org, .biz, .info, etc.), but they don't sale individual
domain names, which is the business of the registrars - right?

I of course may still need to get a handle of the full scope of the
leverage that those TLD agreements have on the way registrars do
business.

On the other hand meanwhile, I remember Ross drawing, a good while
ago, our attention to the "bad" practices pertaining to the
redemption grace period (the 'drop catchers' problem, etc.), and a
few registrars were pointed out in the article forwarded. I'm not
sure whether the concerned registrars make any profit by allegedly
helping (alerting) the 'drop catchers' at a very early period of
expiration of a specific domain name, or they resell it at the same
flat rate that they would register a new domaine name. If they do
make any profit with such practices (e.g., reselling to a new
owner/intermediary a specific domain name at an increased price based
on, say, the name semantics or supposed business value), then I'm
afraid it might be possible as well for any DNS operator (I mean
registry AND registrar) to single out a specific domain name to which
they would claim to only offer "special" services at a "special"
rate. Unless there is regulation or contractual provision that
clearly prevent that?

Or am I even more confused than I thought?

Mawaki

http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/biz/registry-agmt-app-28jul06.pdf