Fwd: [council] Re: Regarding issues report on IDNs from PAF

  • To: GNSO Council <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Fwd: [council] Re: Regarding issues report on IDNs from PAF
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Feb 2006 14:57:23 -0500
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Begin forwarded message:

From: Patrik Fältström <paf@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 5 februari 2006 14.17.16 EST
To: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxx>
Cc: GNSO Council <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, John Klensin <john- ietf@xxxxxxx>, Cary Karp <ck@nic.museum>
Subject: Re: [council] Re:  Regarding issues report on IDNs

On 5 feb 2006, at 19.33, Avri Doria wrote:

Even the questions that PAF asks are dependent on the current thinking about the technology and if there was creative work being on the research and engineering for IDN, we might have different questions to answer.

(I know my messages are not accepted by the GNSO mailing list exploder, but please forward if you want to.)

If you start with the questions you want to ask, and some requirements, I can let you know what the technology say about it.

For example, wether you want (technical) guarantees that the same registrant have the domain name example.foo and example.<idn- version-of-foo>. Or is it a requirement that those two domains can be managed by two different registrants?

As long as that is not resolved, there is simply no way technical community can help.

Unfortunately, as interesting as the IAB draft is, it doesn't, to my mind, do much to indicate what work will be done to try and figure out solutions, maybe even creative solutions, that take the very real political realities into account.

Can you please list what those "very real politicla realities" are? If you do, I can make sure the technical community do have a look at it. This is exactly what I talk about when I ask for what questions you have and what the answer is.

    Patrik