[council] Council outreach activities -

  • To: <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [council] Council outreach activities -
  • From: "Philip Sheppard" <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 10:35:34 +0100
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It is impressive that Council is engaging in extended outreach activities in
relation to the gTLDs PDP.
The proposed Washington meeting is one such manifestation of this desire.
I wonder however if there is a difference between outreach and public
comment.

Who do we expect to hear from that otherwise are silent to us?
Registries and registrars have their constituencies or liaison.
Broader business interests have their constituencies.
Non-commercial interests have a constituency.
Government has an eloquent liaison.
Individuals have a voice through the ALAC liaison.

Are we not in danger of undermining the role of these bodies in our new
found lust for outreach?
I think in particular of the ALAC.

Thoughts?

Philip