RE: [council] Next ICANN Board Call

  • To: <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] Next ICANN Board Call
  • From: "Michael D. Palage" <michael@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 17:19:22 -0400
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Marilyn, Tony and other Council members:

In the interest of bandwidth efficiency I am responding collectively to
Marilyn's and Tony's respective emails.

With regard to Marilyn's question about the minutes from the May 3 meeting.
The bylaws do not contain a fixed time period for the posting of minutes,
Article III, Section 5 subparagraph 1 merely states that minutes "shall be
approved promptly." This is unlike Article III, Section 5, subparagraph 2
which provides a fixed time frame of "no later than five (5) business days
after each meeting  any actions taken by the Board shall be made publicly
available in a preliminary report on the Website."

My "personal opinion" is that the Board should seek to follow the practice
of the GNSO council which as a first item of business in most meetings, is
the formal adoption of the minutes from the previous meeting.

As previously stated, I will endeavor to keep the Council informed of all
important action items (posting of agenda, posting of preliminary reports,
posting of minutes, etc.) via the Council list.

Turning to the question of Tony with regard to .ASIA. In the interest of
full open and transparent disclosure, I need to inform the Council that I
have abstained from participating in the .ASIA discussions because of my
consulting arrangement with Afilias who is providing the backend registry
services, although I have had no involvement with the .ASIA application.

In accordance with the resolution passed on May 3rd there now appears to be
an affirmative duty on behalf of the applicant to furnish additional
information to the ICANN staff in connection with Section 8.3 of the
"Principles for Delegation and Administration of ccTLDs Presented by
Governmental Advisory Committee" see,
http://www.icann.org/minutes/resolutions-03may05.htm.

There are two variables that I am unable to account for. First, will the
applicant need the full 90 days, and then after submitting the information
to staff  how fast will staff be able to provide the information to the
Board. These are two variables which I believe it is not prudent for me to
speculate upon.

In connection with you and your fellow colleagues pursuing an sTLD for your
region, I wish you well. As many can tell you, applying for a TLD is not for
the feint of heart, however, without your participation I am sure that you
will provide excellent leadership skills and advice. The only words of
caution I would stress is that the RFP criteria may change just as it has
changed from the original 2000 round to the most current sTLD round.

During the last GNSO Council call Olaf discussed how he was working on a new
ICANN policy with regard to TLDs. I would encourage you and your colleagues
to closely follow and participare in this process to ensure that you
interests are not materially impacted.

I hope this information helps.

Best regards,

Michael D. Palage