RE: [council] WIPO-II

  • To: <Lucy.Nichols@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [council] WIPO-II
  • From: Marc Schneiders <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 20:43:39 +0100 (CET)
  • Cc: <alick.wilson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <paul.verhoef@xxxxxxxxx>, <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <jeffrey@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lucy, I agree, new TLDs are a good idea. They solve nothing though for
major trademark owners, who will no be satisfied with anything less
than their trademark.com. And .net, and .org, and all the rest. With
the latter I am not happy. I understand that disney will not accept me
registering disney.net. And I don't want to fight that, or nokia.net.
These are coined or family names (I don't know.)
But I once got into legal problems over registering hyperbole.net.
These were solved so no hard feelings. But I have difficulty with
allowing ALL trademark holders or ALL countries or IGO's or whatever
WIPO or others come with up next to have a pre-emptive claim on all
domains including their name in all TLDs. There is lots of people
called Erikson in Sweden and why should they all be barred for
registering their family name just because there is a mobile phone
manufacturer once called Erikson and now part of Sony?

As for country names: This is complicated. They are no trademarks.
There are so many forms of them, and the official ones are usually not
what people would look for. (Nobody looks for my country under its
official name: Koninkrijk der Nederlanden, rather Netherlands or
Holland.) We need new rules, and not ad hoc like with the country
names in .info after lobbying of GAC with the ICANN board. This is not
the way to make policy, to say the least. This is not the ICANN way to
make policy. It might be that of the UN at times. We need to act as
council to avoid this to happen again. I do not know how. I hope you
do.

I would be most interested (and willing to think further about) a
proposal that solves problems within your constituency (that aren't
solved yet by the UDRP) but also avoids granting more and more
entities rights to names and words in the domain name system.

Again, I do understand it is stupid for me to register nokia.info or
disney.nl. And I won't even try. But I cannot accept that I can't put
a website on word.web, if I am lucky enough to get that domain.
Obviously I am asking for problems if I start selling WordPerfcet
(does it still exist?) on this site. But when I merely have some
anecdotes about some words, who should be allowed to stop me?

I find it unacceptable that companies that use dictionary words can
clame these words in all TLDs. Similarly, there is no reason why Paris
in France should have all paris.* domains. There are lots of places
called Paris. And Paris in France was (I am guessing) named after
Greek mythological figure. So who own that name?

I am in Holland. But there is people called Holland in the US,
Australia, etc. Why should my country have all holland.* domains?
Should it even if there is a company with a larger turnover than my
country does in taxes?

Let's go for clear stuff. Not all domains in all TLDs. If that is to
be, I am _against_ new TLDs. They are useless. There is a TM on every
word.

Marc