Re: [council] NCUC statement on Approval Process for Registry Services

  • To: Philip Sheppard <philip.sheppard@xxxxxx>
  • Subject: Re: [council] NCUC statement on Approval Process for Registry Services
  • From: Marc Schneiders <marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 12:58:49 +0100 (CET)
  • Cc: <council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004, at 12:47 [=GMT+0100], Philip Sheppard wrote:

> a lot of consumer protection is of course content related and
> ICANN has no role to play in content regulation.

I would indeed think so too.

> However, ICANN
> does have a role in areas related to consumer/user welfare such
> as:

> - the avoidance of deceptive domain names,

This may be on the border of content regulation...

> - ability to re-delegate a TLD to a new registry in the event of registry
> failure,

And taking action against a registry if that treats a group of
registrants unfairly?

> - avoiding unfair and uncompetitive practices on the supply side.
>
> That list is quite enough for now I suspect!

I am not sure there is nothing to add to this list. For now, and in
the context of the registry services PDP, I think the principle
question (Does ICANN have a role in consumer protection or does it
leave this to national authorities?) is of more importance than wish
lists. This is one of the more important topics in this PDP, we think.