Re: [council] gTLD registries' paper on new TLds

  • To: Amadeu@xxxxxxxxxx, Jeff.Neuman@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: [council] gTLD registries' paper on new TLds
  • From: Elisabeth Porteneuve <Elisabeth.Porteneuve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 22:16:51 +0200 (MET DST)
  • Cc: council@xxxxxxxx
  • Sender: owner-council@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> * the follwoing paragraph confuses me:
>
> "Prior to November 2000, the list of valid TLDs very seldom changed, and
> only a few ccTLDs were added to the list, including Palestine (.ps) and
> Afghanistan (.af)."
>
> In fact, prior to November 2000 the list changed much more than after
> that date... even if it was quite stable since late 1997. The reference
> to .af is in any misleading, as it was created in 1997, among many, many
> others. In fact, as far as I can remember, the only ccTLD effectively
> added duing ICANN existance is .ps (with .eu in the pipeline, but not
> yet active, as .tl  which should replace .tp, but which  is apparently
> in a limbo somewhere between ISO and IANA....). .af had a difficult
> life, including disappearences and redelgations, but it was created well
>   before 2000.
>
> Amadeu

Good evening,

As the person taking snapshots of cc-IANA since 1999, I confirm that
.af have been delegated on 16 Oct 1997 - extract from Old Internic
is attached below (Old Internic was whois -h rs.internic.net).

The ccTLD delegations in chronological order of Top Level Domain
creation at the Old Internic are at:
http://www.ccwhois.org/ccwhois/cctld/ccTLDs-by-date.html

The number of ccTLD created per annum is recorder at:
http://www.ccwhois.org/ccwhois/cctld/ccTLDs-created.html
YYYY Nb ccTLDs created Total
1985  3   3
1986  8  11
1987  9  20
1988  8  28
1989  8  36
1990 11  47
1991 22  69
1992 17  86
1993 23 109
1994 22 131
1995 29 160
1996 31 191
1997 47 238
1998  2 240
1999  1 241
2000  1 242
--
1 ccTLD created in 1999 .BD (Bangladesh), 1 ccTLD created in 2000 .PS
(Palestinian Territory).

Kind regards,
Elisabeth Porteneuve
ccTLD liaison to GNSO
--

Afganistan:
http://www.ccwhois.org/ccwhois/snapshots/AF12-DOM.990511.html

ccTLD Constituency of the DNSO

World Wide Alliance of Top Level Domain-names
IANA Internic whois database Custodianship
 cc-whois     |        IANA snapshots

Changes over time in the IANA Internic whois database

initially:      whois -h rs.internic.net
mid-1999 to mid-2000:   whois -h whois.networksolutions.com
since 18 June 2000:     http://www.iana.org/cctld/cctld.htm

Registrant:
Afghanistan top-level domain (AF12-DOM)
   Maktab Ad Daftariyya AF
   14-1-1 Makrian 3
   Kabul
   AF

   Domain Name: AF

   Administrative Contact:
      Razeeq, Abdul  (AR2591)  abdul@xxxxxxxxxx
      +93 62752
   Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      NetNames Hostmaster  (NH45-ORG)  hostmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxx
      +44 171 291 3900
Fax- - +44 171 291 3939

   Record last updated on 06-Apr-99.
   Record created on 16-Oct-97.
   Database last updated on 10-May-99 13:26:24 EDT.

   Domain servers in listed order:

   NS1.NETNAMES.NET             195.40.151.1
   NS2.NETNAMES.NET             195.40.150.1

To see this host record with registered users, repeat the command with
a star ('*') before the name; or, use '%' to show JUST the registered users.

The InterNIC Registration Services database contains ONLY
non-military and non-US Government Domains and contacts.
Other associated whois servers:
   American Registry for Internet Numbers - whois.arin.net
   European IP Address Allocations        - whois.ripe.net
   Asia Pacific IP Address Allocations    - whois.apnic.net
   US Military                            - whois.nic.mil
   US Government                          - whois.nic.gov

You agree that you will not reproduce, sell, transfer, or
modify any of the data presented in response to your search request, or
use of any such data for commercial purpose, without the prior
express written permission of Network Solutions.

© ccTLD Constituency
Page updated : 2000-12-18 00:55:39