RE: [registrars] WG: [council] Domain Tasting Design Team Proposed GNSO Council Motion

  • To: "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Registrars Constituency" <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] WG: [council] Domain Tasting Design Team Proposed GNSO Council Motion
  • From: "Rob Hall" <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 09:26:38 -0000
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You know, it dawns on me that perhaps there should be one other carve
out of the ICANN fees to the AGP, and that would be in the first month
or so of a new Registry going live.

I know that we have used the AGP during landrush phases of a Registry,
as customers often make typo's etc.

This is a time when it is typical to have large number of domains
registered, and it may make sense to ensure ICANN has the ability to
relax any rules on a Registry just starting out and trying desperately
to get new customers.

ICANN may also want the ability to relax the fee in the cooperation with
Registries for marketing purposes.  I recall when some new TLD
registries gave domains away for free.  Seemed like a dumb idea perhaps,
but a year later the renewal rates were worth it I suspect.  So ICANN
will need a mechanism to exempt if it chooses to do so.  I would hate to
get into a situation where ICANN says its hands are tied.

Rob.