RE: [registrars] Motion to adopt Tasting Position Statement

  • To: "Eric Brunner-Williams" <brunner@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "Tim Ruiz" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Motion to adopt Tasting Position Statement
  • From: "Laura Mather" <laura.mather@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 09:52:25 -0800
  • Cc: "Registrars Constituency" <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi everyone-

I am chair of the Anti-Phishing Working Group DNS sub-committee.  The
sub-committee recently performed a study on the use of domain name
tasting by phishers.

The conclusions of the study were:
1) Two independent analyses of phishing and domain tasting data showed
no correlation between tasting and phishing.
2) Although there have not been formal studies of the impact of domain
tasting on the fight against phishing, anecdotal information provided by
first responders strongly suggests that the several orders of magnitude
of domains registered and deleted daily adds considerable delay to
phishing detection, isolation and takedown procedures.

The full text of the study can be found here:
http://www.antiphishing.org/reports/DNSPWG_ReportDomainTastingandPhishin
g.pdf

Please let me know if you have additional questions for the
sub-committee.

-Laura

WHOIS