[registrars] Motion to determine the "sense of the Constituency" on domain tasting and domain kiting.

  • To: Registrars Constituency <registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [registrars] Motion to determine the "sense of the Constituency" on domain tasting and domain kiting.
  • From: "Robert F. Connelly" <BobC@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 15:56:47 -0800
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Registrars:  As you have heard, we have been asked to have RC representatives on a task force intended to create a PDP on domain tasting and kiting.

In my opinion, we need to determine the position of Constituency members on this subject, so that the Constituency input to the PGP is consistent with the consensus of the Constituency.  Eric has just posted email to this effect.

My motion is intended to be compatible with Tim Ruiz's motion.  Hopefully, the results from balloting on my motion will support and reinforce a favorable ballot on Tim's motion.

Here is my motion:

Motion to determine the "sense of the Constituency" on domain tasting and domain kiting.

Inasmuch as there has been much written on domain tasting and kiting in the general RC mail list, and,

Inasmuch as there has been no definitive work done to find a consensus among ICANN Accredited Registrars,

Now, therefore, I move that a vote be taken to determine the "sense of the Constituency" on domain tasting and kiting.

If this motion receives the necessary three endorsements, a ballot will be circulated in which members may express their opinions on the following questions.  Multiple choice answers are envisioned, each question being followed by options to 1. strongly agree, 2. agree, 3. disagree, 4. strongly disagree and 5. abstain.

Members are to state their opinions on these practices.

Q1.  Do you condone the use of the Add Grace Period (AGP) to make tentative domain registrations and delete these domains within the five day grace period, this practice sometimes referred to as "domain tasting"?

Q2. Do you condone the use of the AGP to make domain registrations, delete these domains within the five day grace period, then re-register the same domains again two more times, this practice sometimes referred to as "domain kiting"?  **footnote

If the majority of the members feel that the RC should take stands for or against these practices, we should then comment on some of the proposals for minimizing domain name tasting made by the recently completed GNSO Ad Hoc Group.

Q3.  Should a fee by registries be imposed for excessive AGP deletes, similar to the practice recently implemented by PIR?

Q4.  Should ICANN treat all Add commands as "transactions" and  collect the usual transaction fee as such, even though the registrations are deleted within the AGP, with fee forgiveness provided when such deletions are below a reasonable threshold of monthly Add commands?

Q5.  Should all new registrations be kept out of the zone files until the end of the AGP, preventing these domains from resolving during the AGP (five days for most gTLDs), thus preventing the measurement of traffic, as proposed by certain participants on the GNSO Ad Hoc Group?

end of text:

I solicit three endorsements.

I further solicit amendments, friendly and unfriendly.

Regards, BobC

** Footnote:  It should be noted that kiting is not necessarily a registrar issue.  It is possible for a person engaged in kiting to switch between registrars.  Kiting by lone entities can be more offensive than kiters making multiple registrations/cancellations with a single registrars.  It would be much more effective for kiting to be controlled by the TLD registry than by any one registrar.