RE: [registrars] Domain Registry of America

  • To: "Bruce Tonkin" <Bruce.Tonkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Registrars Constituency" <registrars@xxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: RE: [registrars] Domain Registry of America
  • From: "Mitchell, Champ" <Cmitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 08:10:15 -0400
  • Sender: owner-registrars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

A very brief summary of U.S. deception law (and the EU and Australia
follow something similar). Forgive me, but having spent 17 years as a
practicing lawyer in this area, and regardless of what one thinks of
DROA's activity, I wanted to point out that it is NOT the literal
wording of any advertisement or promotional message that determines
whether it will be deemed deceptive. Rather it is the "take away" by
consumers. In short, Bruce, if, as you note below, the average person
would think this is from their current registrar and if they fail to
understand that it is a request to transfer to a new registrar rather
than renew with their current one, then either the FTC in an
administrative action or a judge in a civil action may determine the
piece to be deceptive and enjoin its further dissemination. Further, the
Lanham Act, the U.S. trademark law, has been interpreted by U.S. courts
to have similar provisions that in many cases allows a competitor to
bring an action regardless of what the FTC does. The key issue is, of
course, what is the interpretation and takeaway of the average person.
This is usually shown by survey evidence.

As to the mining of data bases, since we have suffered more than all the
rest, we can tell you that national laws vary widely on this. As to a
consensus policy on this, it is not just the new registrars that do
illegal data mining (illegal under U.S. laws). Active members of the
registrar constituency who were there from the earliest days and who sit
in the room at every ICANN meeting do it also. One very active member
who attends all ICANN and constituency meetings, has even described to
me in general terms what he has done to mine our whois. His point was
that he could get around our anti-mining efforts but he was tired of
having to pay engineers to get around them every time we changed them
(which is frequently). Somehow he thought this was going to motivate me
to "whitelist" him as he called it. Pretty blatant and since he will be
reading this, he will probably get a chuckle out of it, but that's the
variety in our constituency. Best, Champ